Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Open Forum  /  What to put on my resume ????

What to put on my resume ????

I recently was a recruit in the SDFD academy... one of the certs is the the 3 mile run completed in under 24mins ( I'm sure no problem for most of you). Long story short I'm build like D. Sproles (stocky and stout) and my legs don't want to go that fast for that long. I did drop 9 mins off of my 3mile time in 5 months, but when I went to my third attempt my injured body ran it in 24:20, puking and all... so ... 

Now that I have been " released from probation" what/how do I go about this on my resume/interviews for other departments in the future.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

A resume is a snapshot that lists the highlights of the individual.  I think of it as an advertisement, and the product is the person.  It is intended to grab the interest of the person holding the interview and to start a conversation.  So we don't list all of our jobs on a resume, for example, just the most recent.  So why list your run?  I like your sense of humor, but this does not put you in a particularly good light.  Why not just omit it?  However, on the job application, everything gets listed, and that is where the run probably belongs.  Fire service resumes are very different from those found on the Web.  Virtually all of those samples are for business, and corporations have a very different mindset.  If you need help better understanding resumes, I suggest you take a look at www.publicsafetyprep.com.  Now, having shared all of this, print our your posting and hold onto it for future reference.  I recommend that you keep a file and update it every 6-12 months.