Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Background

Background

I have a friend that I train with and test with. My problem is that the more in depth I get about hiring and what departments are looking for in candidates... his past is in question.He has had run in with law all before actively testing. will this be a negative mark and can a person get hired with a record? I hate to be the one that drops the bomb. I would prfer to encourage and hope he makes it you never know right???
any information would be great.
Thank you
h205150

Is this guy pulling your chain or trying to push your freaky button? But if he is not.....
Most every application asks if you have been either convicted of a crime/felony or have ever been arrested (and sometimes both). There may be a section that gives you an opportunity to explain the circumstances. Folks get arrested all the time but released and never charged. What raises a red flag is a pattern of arrests and any common denominators/indicators that would lead the hiring agency to believe the candidate can not stay out of trouble no matter what the circumstances were.
"A conviction is not an automatic bar to employement" is what is usually printed. And that "automatic" part is just that. Of course, nearly all departments will not hire you, or consider you for employment if you have a felony conviction. There are just too many other qualified folks without a legal history.
If your "friend" gets past the initial screening and testing, and if a job offer is made, the background paperwork and background check will catch up with him and the job offer is out the window. If he has not told the truth, it will be found out if there is a track record. Best wishes.

Thomas
THank you but this is a crazy case. I was not there but this is what went down and he was convicted. he was running down the street and ran into a bum litteraly,cold kocked him out, the guy pressed charges with assualt. long story short small fine and probation 48 hours served all in the wonderful town of bakersfield ca...I believe he has a juvinelle record, but I was told that is sealed.
h205150

Topher: So that was the guy! Ok, just kidding.

If this was a felony conviction, your friend is toast and a fire service career is not in his/her future. Done deal thanks-for-playing-Bob-Tell-our-contestant-what-he-does-not-win!
IF (big "if" here by-the-way)this is a misdemeanor conviction,(talk about the true meaning of the word and the goofy circumstances ie "Archaic Misbehavior")AND this incident happened awhile back AND there have been no futher legal "encounters' AND if the hiring department does not see a problem, then there is a fair shot at a badge.
If your friend has a shot at getting a job, maybe the guy should consider getting glasses. I hate to see him run into the side of a fire engine much less another bum!
:8o: Best wishes

Thomas
Only in bakersfielf with a few beers can you get into sooooo much trouble. Thank you. I will still play it by ear and let him hear it from the background investigator.....
h205150