Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Getting Started

Getting Started

Within the past few months I've searched for a lot of different firefighter openings across the country. I graduated from college in December and am really eager to get started. Just a few general questions:

-Do you have to be certified as a paramedic/EMT to be a competitive applicant?

-What criteria should I look for when seeking out opportunities as college graduate with no prior training?

-At what point would I look at attending a fire/rescue academy? (while applying, post-hire, etc.)

ANY advice would be greatly appreciated!

(-Do you have to be certified as a paramedic/EMT to be a competitive applicant?)

With many fire departments mandating Paramedic certifications to apply it seems like it is a mandatory prerequisite.  Not true, most fire departments that have FIREMEDIC’s also have FIREFIGHTERS and test for that position.  Will a Fire Chief select a candidate with a paramedic cert. even if it’s not required? I’m sure they will if they believe that it can save the department down the line.  Many fire departments don’t have paramedic programs and only hire FIREFIGHTERS.  These departments don’t receive a benefit because they are not an ALS agency so they do not need certified paramedics.    If you are not interested in being a Paramedic I would suggest that you focus on departments that don’t require a paramedic cert.

(-What criteria should I look for when seeking out opportunities as college graduate with no prior training?)

So many fire departments have FIREFIGHTER TRAINEE / FIREFIGHTER CADET /FIREFIGHTER APPRENTICE;  these are all types of positions that require little to no previous experience.  The larger fire departments like Los Angeles, New York, Chicago and others have basic entry level requirements like: 18 years old, HS/GED, valid driver’s lic.

(-At what point would I look at attending a fire/rescue academy? (while applying, post-hire, etc.))

Firefighter Academies are a natural progression in your pursuit of a FireCareer.  As soon as you can enroll in a program I would recommend that you do it.  Many smaller fire departments require that a person have a FF-1 cert. or have passed an accredited program to apply for FIREFIGHTER.  So if you have the ability to attend, don’t hesitate get that cert it will open a lot of doors.

These are the base line requirements: at least 18 years old, valid driver’s license, and you have either a HS diploma or a GED cert. 

Next: Emergency Medical Technician Certifications with National Registry – Cpat card – Biddle Card – Firefighter 1 Cert. – Paramedic Lic.

Good luck with developing your path to the Badge.  I want to help if you have other questions or need more assistance please contact me here, at my email craig@firecareers.com or call me directly 805-340-0043..