Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  photography

photography

I know this has little to do with getting a job but can anyone explain to me the legal and ethical issues over fire/ems photography. Can I shoot a scene where a patient is identifiable? What can get me in trouble. My dept. has no guidelines for carrying cameras to calls. Any info will help.

Ok...here goes. This is what the legal eagles tell me on this subject. The press has the right to report the news.(US Constitution Freedom Of The Press). If you are not the media and you video tape, film or photograph an emergency incident, you have no rights as this is considered an invasion of privacy of the victims of the incident. As a fire suppression agency, you are allow to do all the above for the purposes of training. You are not entitled to sell and show to the public pictures/videos/movies without the expressed written consent of the victim(s). Like all the shows on TV (Cops, Wildest Chases, America's Most Wanted, American's Bravest) those civilians must consent or they get the pixel treatment. I suggest you contact the legal representative for your organization (City attorney, County counsel etc.) and see how the law works where you are.The training Officer's Association for your area may also have pointers for you as well. Best wishes.

Thanks for the info, it helps when everyone wants to sue!!!