Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Do you have to be 18?

Do you have to be 18?

Hi, my name is Ashley and i'm 16. I was wondering, do you have to be 18 to take EMT I, and Fire Technology?
I would really like to know. Thank you. :)

You have to be 18 to be an EMT (at least in California) and most places you will have to be 18 by the time the class is over in order to attend the class. There is no minimum age for fire tech classes, but there may be an age requirement for an actual academy. Check with the institution you are interested in attending.

Good Luck.

The key to the EMT portion is that you have to be 18 to be certified, but you can take the class when you are under 18. The catch is that you only have 2 years after finishing the EMT class to apply for certification. For example, if you took the class when you were 15 - you would not be able to apply for certification until you were 18, which would be greater than 2 years. By waiting longer than 2 years to apply, you have to go through another full EMT program.

As for fire classes, we also have a handful of students that are attending fire classes at the college while they are still in high school. If you meet the requirements for the college to be a student, you should have no problem. Like Fire Medic said, you will have to check with each college.

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. Is there
any colleges that you know of that offers fire
technology in a night coarse? Or at leats after 3:00?

This message was edited by FireExploreGirl on 10-30-02 @ 9:11 AM

Thank you so much for clearing that up for me. Is there
any colleges that you know of that offers fire
technology in a night coarse? Or at leats after 3:0

Most if not all of the colleges I know of offer night programs because a good majority of the students are working during the day. At Chabot, our first priority is our night classes, and then if I can justify a second session of the same class, I'll do a morning session. The evening ones (meaning 6 pm to 9 or 10 pm) are always more packed than the day time ones.

Check around, you should see that most of them (if not all) offer night classes. For a somewhat full list of schools around the state offering two-year degree programs in fire technology (with links to their spring schedules) go to our web site links page at http://chabotde.clpccd.cc.ca.us/users/sprziborowski/links.htm and scroll down to 2 year degree programs in fire technology.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.
;

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.
;

I recently discovered that Rio Hondo college offers a "part-time" fire academy. Rio Hondo is located in Whittier and I don't know where that is compared to you, but maybe worth looking into. They offer the part time academy as a 30 week course and you attend classes Thurs. and Friday from 7pm to 10pm and then Sat AND Sun from 7:30am to 5pm.

Good luck,