Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Background check

Background check

Im currently 18. I want to go to fire college and what not. I was wondering if it is even worth going due to the fact that when I was 17 I was arrested and charged with vandalism of $1500. If I was to go to school would I even be able to get a job? I also only have a GED. I plan to go in to national guard before to get help to pay for school.

Were you charged/convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor? With a felony conviction, you may be done before you start.
If this is a misdemeanor, were you fined 1500 dollars or ordered to pay restitution? (and it is so documented?) Some departments required you to so state that on an application. Depending on what you tell us, this may come up in a background investigation. Misdemeanors are reviewed by the department you apply for and they do not automaticlly bar you from employment. They will be considered though. Please tell us more so we can define the course of action and advise you. Best Wishes

Furthermore, this offense might be on your juvenile record only. Which means it might be sealed and unviewable by the Fire Dept. Only under special circumstances can someone open and review your juvenile record, and I don't think that Fire Depts are high enough on the chain of command to look at that stuff. (Although you probably couldn't get a job with the CIA or FBI). You need to ask someone who is knowledgable about juvenile criminal records.