Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  accredidation

accredidation

some department are requesting you be accredited, what is meant by this?(big bear valley fire as an example)
chasing my dream
h205150

Accreditation is a fairly new process that started around 1997. First, a department goes through a self-assessment process. If they meet all of the qualifications, they can apply for accreditation. For more specific information, go to the accreditation website at http://www.cfainet.org - the Commission on Fire Accreditation International.

Think of accreditation as similar to what an I.S.O. Rating is. ISO used to be a very valuable tool to rate how well a fire department is in regards to levels of service - unfortunately, there are some people that feel that ISO is an outdated tool (and unrealistic in some senses). Accreditation is considered to be a more "big picture" assessment that looks at a fire department in various ways including modern ways of providing service. Some insurance companies don't even give discounts for living in areas that are protected by fire departments with excellent ISO ratings.

Will ISO ever be phased out? I doubt it. I do know that many more departments are spending a lot of time working on the self-assessment and accreditation process (2 different things).

thank you for all the information. now i know what it means ... how do i get accredited as an emt for this one department? i already have an emt-b and it is accredited in kern county. i also have a flobatomy and ekg cert, do these help for entrance to a department
chasing my dream
h205150

You're welcome. You say that you want to be certified as an EMT in "one department." What do you mean by one department?

FYI - if you are certified in one County (like you are in Kern County), that certification is good STATEWIDE. For example, you can be a Kern County EMT for the rest of your life, and never work another day in that county - you can work say in Los Angeles County while still being a Kern County EMT. Granted that wouldn't make sense, or be the most convenient for you - but it is feasible based on Title 22 requirements through the State of California.

If you are Kern County certified, each department outside of Kern County shouldn't have an issue with that. Once you're hired by a department, they will usually take care of certification and will probably get you certified in that county.

Your phlebotomy and EKG certs won't necessarily help you - they won't hurt you though. It is just something to show that you are motivated at educating yourself. EMT's don't do phlebotomy or EKG work in California (at least not that I am aware of), so it really is not that much of a selling point as would being bilingual, being a paramedic, having been through a firefighter 1 academy, having a 2 year or 4 year degree, or even other various fire related certs.

refering to "one department was big bear. but your answers where so informative it was answered,basically im accredited in california, right?i have only used the flob in the er when working as er emt. the class was reasonable and i thought it would help if i go to medic school(which is not likely do to circumstances)which i would love to do.
h205150

If you read the announcement for the Big Bear Fire Department, the "Accreditation" in question refers to Paramedics. What is being asked is volunteer applicants be Paramedic certifed in San Bernardino County.
There are many Firefighters who live in the Big Bear area but who work for departments in other areas and other counties off the "mountain/hill" Best wishes.
Best wishes