Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  order fire tech classes be taken

order fire tech classes be taken

In What order should fire technology classes be taken i just want to know, so wont get ahead of myself.

For the most part, it depends on if the classes have any prerequisites. I suggest to any candidate that the 4 most important things for a candidate to do are:

1. Obtain your EMT
2. Start taking fire classes and working towards your 2 year degree in fire technology
3. Get into a firefighter 1 academy
4. Obtain your paramedic license

In reality, getting your paramedic is more important today than getting your firefighter 1 academy completed. However, since many paramedic schools require either EMT experience to get in and it is almost impossible (and impractical) to go right into paramedic school after completion of EMT training, then getting into a firefighter 1 academy is almost more realistic before paramedic school - especially since it usually only takes about a semester (if any) of prerequisite fire classes to get admitted into an academy.

Getting back to your order of fire classes. Depending on the school, most of the fire classes usually don't have any prerequisites. There is usually an "Introduction to fire protection organization (or similar)" class that is the first of the fire classes. I would suggest taking that class in your first semester because it is set up to give you an overview of the fire service. I would also suggest getting into any other fire classes that don't require prerequisites since most of them should not be that difficult for someone with common sense and a good head on their shoulders.

For example, it is not uncommon for students at our college to take in their first semester the following classes:

Fire 50 (Introduction to fire protection organization)
Fire 52 (Firefighter Safety and Public Education)
Fire 53 (Fire Behavior and combustion)
PE2FSC (Fire Science conditioning) - a physical agility class to get the candidate prepared for agility tests
and Health 61 (EMS First Responder) - the prerequisite to get into the EMT class

Those 5 classes are about 12 units - a standard load that most students can handle. The classes may change from college to college, but for the most part, they are the same.

Hope this helps. I would suggest taking as many classes as you think you can handle, while also taking into account the 4 items I listed in the beginning as your "big picture goal." Good luck!

Thank you for the reply that helped alot. That put me in the Right direction.
THanks

You're welcome - good luck and don't give up; it is the best job in the world once you get it! The key to remember is that you must be patient, persistent, and most of all, motivated!