Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  California Ambulance Drivers Certificate..

California Ambulance Drivers Certificate..

Ive noticed that some if not all places that hire EMT's have this as a requirement. I havent even started school for EMT certification yet but could I get a jump on things and get the Ambulance Drivers Certificate out of the way now? If so how where do you do it? I went to the DMV website but it didnt tell me what I wanted to know..

I know this board is mainly for people wanting to become firemen, but I cant find any other decent message boards dedicated to medic stuff. Thanks.

An Ambulance drivers certificate is issued by the Department of Motor Vehicles. (DMV). A handbook is avilable for a few dollars. Read the handbook and study for the written exam. Best wishes

you could get it first, and tomdeltazulu is right in that you can get a handbook for it from dmv (assuming you're talking about california). however, you do need to get a livescan for it (roughly $50) on top of the fee for the certificate (roughly $30) and if money is tight (as it is with some people), i wouldn't advise getting the certificate until after you have your emt certification only because there's nothing you can do with it until you're an emt anyway. plus, it doesn't take very long to process - if you come in with your livescan form, application, etc., take the test and pass it, you'll walk out with your certificate that same day.

i will agree that the dmv website (once again, assuming you're talking about california) doesn't tell you what you need to know as far as that's concerned.

just a thought...and don't be afraid to ask emt or paramedic related questions on here - i have and plenty of other people do too.

good luck!

thought i would clarify what i meant about "assuming you're talking about california" - obviously your question was regarding california, but i wanted to make sure that other people (if they wondered this as well) didn't assume this was the case for other states...

bad wording, but i got there in the end. :)

Thanks for the info. =)

I believe that the DOT (Department of Transportation) is involved with the Ambulance Driver Certificate and that you would need a similar credential in any state that you operate an "Ambulance".
Good Luck

In order to get your amb driver's cert, you also have to have a thorough medical form filled out and signed by the doc. So, when going to DMV to purchase book for amb, also ask for the med'l and livescan forms (my DMV did NOT give out unless specifically requested for). These steps take time to get completed. I found, between the livescan, med'l and DMV, I was out of pocket over $200.
Then, what? To be told that you are on a waiting list (with AMR). No one seems to be hiring; how does one determine if paramedic school is the right step if one can't get any in-the-field experience? It's frustrating.

Check out my postings regarding Paramedic School and experience in the Open Forum Sections.