Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Becoming a paramedic

Becoming a paramedic

I'm really starting to see that it is imperative that I enroll in a paramedic program?that said, I am not too crazy about the idea and was wondering if anyone had also been in my shoes and how things turned out for you. I?ve talked with some firefighter/paramedics at the department where I intern, but I?m looking to get as much information as possible. Thanks in advance for the insight!

i'm not following you - why is it imperative to enroll in paramedic school if it's not something you want to do?

What I mean is, it seems the new trend is that if you are a paramedic, you are seen as a better candidate over some one who is just an EMT. When I say I am not crazy about going to paramedic, I mean I am not crazy about going back for MORE school after a BA and FF1 classes. Just was wondering if anyone else was facing the same kind of decision.
Thanks

i'm not faced with that same decision, but if you haven't read the current thread already about why people fail the paramedic internships, you should...i think it puts a realistic light on pursuing an emt-p certificate.

keep in mind that being a paramedic besides a firefighter might get you picked up faster, but it will also mean that you will be required to work as a paramedic for x number of years. so figure 2 years total for paramedic school, internship, etc. and then say, another 5 years working as a paramedic when you'd rather not. so it's say, roughly 7 years of your life that could also be spent waiting to get picked up by a dept. and being a firefighter. it's not for me to say how you should spend it, but is just something to think about. paramedic school is no joke. in my mind, you have to be 100% certain you want to go through it as it is a huge sacrifice.

just my two cents - i'm sure others may have a different viewpoint, or some may be able to relate with what you're going through...

If you join a Fire Department as a Paramedic, do you also have to meet the requirements for being a firefighter?

If you don't want to be a paramedic DO NOT go to paramedic school!!! I've said this a thousand times and I will say it forever! If you are planning on going to paramedic school for the sole reason that you want to be hired as a firefighter you are doing a huge disservice to yourself, your department, the EMS community, and the patients you will treat. Being a paramedic is a career in its own right. Some people want to do this work and others are not cut out for it. There are no worse paramedics than those who did it so they could get on a fire department and fight fire, and then find out that the fire department actually expects them to work as a paramedic! They are bitter, they don't follow trends in medicine (because they don't care about that stuff), they are rude to patients and cooperating agencies, and they give fire service EMS a bad name.

Yes being a paramedic will open many more testing opportunities. If you get hired you will be working as a paramedic who occasionally fights a fire for MANY years! Think about this before you rush to paramedic school!

To answer the last post:

First you don't simply "join" the fire department. It is a rather lengthy hiring process.

Second. Yes, if you are paramedic you will have to meet all the requirements of a regular firefighter also. You will just face significantly less competition for jobs.

Keep in mind that departments will seek and hire those candidates that meet their "requirements". Those "requirements" are reflective of what the department wants and needs at the time the job flyer is printed.
There was a time when candidates did not have paramedic school under their belt. Folks went to paramedic school because the department they worked for sent them. As dollars/budgets got tighter and continue to shrink, it was only a matter of time before it was seen that hiring medics would save thousands of dollars. As candidates with a paramedic certification became the norm, departments then upped the requirements to file by requiring medic experience and then firefighting experience.
As mentioned in another post, there are many paramedics out there working private ambulance doing routine transfers. If you choose to go after the paramedic certification, have no illusions. Know exactly what it is you want and what a medic certification can and can not do for you.
Having a medic cert does not mean you will be a working for a fire department. There is much much more to being hired than just a piece of paper with pretty colors. Think this through fully. Make an informed decision.
By the way, I have run into those "Bitter" paramedics and they just are not worth a dern as a medic compared to an proficient EMT.

Best Wishes

This message was edited by tomdeltazulu on 3-13-03 @ 10:57 AM

Two thumbs to Firemedic. He is right on the money. If your heart and soul are not into becomming a paramedic you will NEVER make it through the training. It is not something you want to enter into without being completely focused.
See the post on the other board about why people fail their pm internship. BTW the ones that fail usually had their heart and soul into the job and they still didn't make it. Give it some consideration.
Paul Lepore
Captain

I agree with Paul and FireMedic. Take their advice. While I realize a paramedic license drastically opens up more doors for you as a candidate, I do know how difficult it is to complete (especially if you don't want to be a paramedic).

Now as for saying that it is a "new trend" to hire candidates with paramedic license, I respectfully disagree with that statement. When I was hired about 8 years ago as a Firefighter / Paramedic, it was a "new trend." Now it is not so new anymore. Just like I've heard candidates say (when they are asked the question, "where do you see the fire service going, or what are the current trends in the fire service") that putting paramedics on the engines and providing ALS service is cutting edge. It was cutting edge 5 to 10 years ago for most departments.

Now, WMD is somewhat cutting edge (aka, progressive) but almost an "expected" level of response and training for a department.

The point I'm trying to make is that you the candidate need to be on the cutting edge, and be progressive by trying to forecast where the fire service is going. Not necessarily so you can answer the oral board question better, but so you can properly prepare yourself to be the best qualified and prepared candidate (i.e., make yourself marketable).

Budgets are tight, who knows when it will get better? I do know that departments will still have to hire folks to fill retirement voids. However, the ones that will get hired are the ones that can properly "look into the crystal ball" and properly prepare themself.

If you don't want to medic, then don't go to medic school. You'll be miserable. You'll run the risk of failing. Even if you pass, your attitude might suffer, your patient care skills might suffer. All of that could lead to you doing something that is not considered to be proper care, thus resulting in possible legal action against you, the loss of your medic license, the loss of your job, livelihood, etc., etc.

Both Chabotfire and Firemedic are right on the money. Listen to their advice.
I especially like the advice on WMD. Pick a subject and become an expert. Weapons of Mass Destruction is what Hazardous Materials was to the fire service 15 years ago and Paramedics 25 years ago. There are those in the know and those who look to others for information. I know which one I want to be.
Paul Lepore
Captain

Good replys. I would never want a medic to respond to my family who just got the license in order get hired as a FF. If you always wanted to be a lawyer, but had to be the coffee boy for years before becoming a lawyer, how good do you think your coffee would be? Train like MY life depends on it, because it does.

The Landfish
FF/P

Please don?t go to medic school for the sole purpose of getting hired. Please. The last thing we need is more firefighter/medics that don?t really want to be medics. You will suck and those of us that actually like street medicine will resent you. Oh yeah, there is also the issue of quality patient care. Take some HAZMAT courses. Get a seasonal job with CDF. Volunteer with any volunteer agencies you can. Take rope rescue classes and go be a rescue geek in some national park for a while. Become a WMD expert. In short make yourself hirable for some other reason then you went to medic school.
Respectfully submitted,
pumper_bob

I am working Paramedic and I wanted to weigh in on this topic. I only went to Paramedic school to become a Firefighter! Does that make me any less of a Paramedic? NO! Being a paramedic is almost an industry standard here in the bay area. I did what I have to do in order to help get me the career I want for myself. Please everyone in this discussion do not discourge anyone. Lets educate them, If you are one of those on the fence about whether to go to school in order to become a paramedic, I would say sit down and really think about it. This is a really big step to take. I do not regret the path I have taken at all. As far as patient care is concerned I follow 2 rules. First: do what is in your Patients best interest. and Second: do the best job you can. Good luck and do what is in YOUR best interest
sincerly, Eric
This message was edited by epi247 on 12-9-03 @ 12:58 AM

hey eric,

i tried to send you a private message but you have it disabled. can you send me one? i wanted to talk to you about something off the forum. don't worry, it's nothing bad, just a bit off topic.

thanks!

Hey Eric, I'm from the bay area too, I am just finishing up emt. I have a good amount of my fire stuff complete and am trying to get my medic school experience. I've been a first responder for about a year. I would be interested in finding out about your experience, and where you got your medic training.
"What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger",(never give up), Lisa.

While we are all on the Eric boat...will you pls email me tooo? i got a medic question for ya!

As far as medic school goes...i went to medic school to become a more desirable candidate...didn't want to, but found i loved it and it was the right choice. Check it out Hutch, challenge yourself. Everything is worth trying once!

Cheers Mate

ps ERIC...enable your private msg yo!
always out to learn sumptin new

i was wondering if during the internship portion of paramedic school if the student recieves pay, or is it simply part of the learning process?

In the program I'm in (and I think most others) interns do not get paid. In fact, on top of my tuition I will pay an additional fee for my preceptor. I'm told this is the best money you spend in paramedic school.

some programs have the internship rolled into the overall course fee - when you are looking at schools, make sure you ask and be sure that you can get a guaranteed internship. if they tell you it's up to you to find one, you might find yourself in a world of hurt if you can't.

either way, though, no, you don't get paid for the internship, no matter where you're going to school. sorry!

i have to agree with FIREMEDIC... if you dont want to be a paramedic. then dont do it!! there is nothing i cant stand more than all these volunteer firefighters going to paramedic school to get a full time fire job..they turn out to be horrible paramedics because they are doing it for all the wrong reasons..paramedic school is a great oppurtunity to learn alot of information in a career that is primarily medical based..it also provides the commitment and self motivations that you will need to put forth for a full time position.. good luck..

I have to agree with FireMedic on one point. If you don't want to be a medic don't go to school! By that I mean, if you hate medicine, the idea of emergency medicine, or the possibility working on an ambulance for years then this business isn't for you. If your heart ain't in it go elswhere.
However, if you like EMS in any capacity you might give it a try. It is a personal decision because going to medic school is a difficult and life changing event. You might be pleasantly surprised. Before I went to Medic school I hadn't given it a single thought, I only went to become a better candidate. But the more I learned about paramedic the more interesting it became. Before I finished my didactic I found that I LOVE paramedicine. Knowing that made my clinicals, and internship much easier. I just got my liscence and can't wait to start work.
So go to school, don't go to school, whatever decision you make it has to be the right decision for you. And for the right reasons (your own). But as you get into it consider the amount of work you're doing and the amount of time you're comitting. re-evaluate if it's the right decision for you. Because if it isn't you'll be doing your patients and community a disservice. And if you hate your work or dread every medical call it's going to be a looooooooooooong miserable career.
I've had more fun, responsibility, and felt more rewarded in my internship than I have virtually anywhere else. But it wouldn't have happened if I listened to those who said flat out "don't go."

i am a firefighter/paramedi with the el cajon firedept, my name is joe marshall. you can read about my expert paramedic firefighter skills on my blog
tenderfootnsmoke@yahoo.com i also have a terminal illiness called lukemia and am in desperate need of a bone marrow transplant, i also have a master's in science degree in astrophysics so there isn't too much i don't know about my job as a paramedic with the el cajon fire dept, any questions you have go to my blog and i will answer them- tenderfootnsmoke#yahoo.com
firefighter with lukemia
joe