Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Juvenile Record Concern

Juvenile Record Concern

Hello:

I thought I'd ask this question on this message board because it seems as though everyone on here has all sorts of useful information and seems always willing to help. So thank you to everyone for their time!!

Now to my question, sorry if it is a question that has already been answered.
I also want firefighting as a career more than anything. I'm currently enrolled for my EMT cert this summer and planning to take the academy this fall 2003. Ive trained physically and mentally for this for some time now. However, I'm just curious as to what they consider "questionable" , for instance sealed juvenile recs or traffic violations? Thank you in advance for all your time...

Most Sincerely,

J Park

This message was edited by j_park on 4-6-03 @ 11:49 PM

First of all I would recomend deleting your personal information from the post. It's a small community and I would not want anything you say here hurt your chances of getting hired.
You have been vague about what information in your past would potentially harm your chances of getting a job. Again, I would not post it here for you own protection.
We have all done things in the past that if we really thought out the consequences, we would not make the same decision. One of our deputy chiefs has a great saying; Retrospective apologies do not count.
Having sdaid that, you indicated that all of your problems have subsided and you have not had any isues since you were 16. You now hold down a job and are living a responsible life. Honestly, some departments may take issue with your past (depending what it is) but I believe other departments will realize that you were a young man that made a mistake(s).
The best advice I can give you is to make an appointment with a background investigator and lay it on the table. Ask their opinion if they would hire you with your background.
I believe that we have all made mistakes. I definitely fall into that catergiry. I am sure your background investigator has done things that he or she regrets. The question is does your "questionable" past include any automatic disqualifications. I find it encouraging that you have taken your EMT and have had the same job for several years.
I hope this helps. Keep following your dreams!

Paul Lepore
Captain
This message was edited by Paul on 4-6-03 @ 9:13 PM

Thank you so much Captain for your time and valuable information. I will be sure to look into your suggestions seriously. You've been a great help

Best regards
J Park