Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  DUI on a Miitary Base?

DUI on a Miitary Base?

About 2 years ago when I was in the Navy I got a DUI on the Base. Now here's my question:

1.Is it the same as getting a DUI out in the Civilian world or does it stay in the Navy?

2.I'm going to be doing my backround investigation for LA city soon and I'm wondering what I should do?

There is one thing I forgot to mention: When the Military police pulled me over on base they ASKED me if I wanted to do a sobrity test, so I said sure and I passed it. Then they ASKED me if I wanted to take a breathalized, so I said no. Well I didn't know that in California that if you refuse to take a breathalized you automatically get a DUI by default.

Well that's my story, but will this really affect me or will this stay locked up in my military file and forgotten? I not sure cause what happens when they ask me on a lie-detector if I have anything to hide?

Can somebody please shed some light on this topic for me please, I'm so in need of some good advise. One more thing, I did recieve a Honorable Discharge after my 4 years were up.(Just thought you should know).

Jason

This message was edited by jm_1979 on 4-22-03 @ 12:13 AM

First things first...........GO to the department of motor vehicles in the state you got your DUI in.Request a print out of your driving record.As a member of the military on a military base, you are subject to the UCMJ (Uniform Code Of Military Justice)and not civilian law while on base.
If your driving record is clear, you are looking pretty good but not out of the woods just yet.
Get back to us after you get your report. Best wishes

Whats up Booch? Glad to see you wised up and joined this site. Your DUI on base will not be in your civilian record at all. Really it is as though it never happened now that you are out. I dont know about the polygraph though since you might have it on your conscience.
Respectfully,

Travis Taylor

LA City does not do a poly.
www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Fire "Captain Bob"