Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Background Check?

Background Check?

It has come to my attention that it may be illegal for agency's to conduct credit checks on candidates. I would appreciate any info on this matter.

I'm not sure where you got your information, but it is not
uncommon for agencies to run credit checks. They feel that it
is a good barometer to determine how you handle your
personal life. There are exceptions, but don't be surprised if
they do run a credit check.

-
Curt Cozad
Spokesperson/Liaison
FIREHIREŽ Inc.
(800) 755-5891
"Where Your Fire Service
Career Begins!"?

As part of your background check, you may be required to provide a TRW/Equifax (Or other credit report) or authorize credit history access. If you refuse, you will not be considered for employment.
Kurt is right. Credit history is an indicator in determining how you handle your personal life be it good or bad. Best Wishes

More than 30% of credit reports have errors. A recent check on mine revealed addresses I have never lived at, wrong birthday, job experience and some of my sons credit.

The best way to find out about your credit is request a free copy from one of the 3 major credit bureaus. Here are the bureaus:

Equifax Credit Information Services
Box 105518
Atlanta, GA 30348
Phone: 877-463-5505 (for Credit Report orders) Phone (800) 685-5000 (for disputes)

Experian
Box 949
Allen, TX 75013-0949
Phone: 888-397-3742 (for Credit Report orders) Phone (800) 583-4080 (for disputes)

Trans Union Corporation (TUC)
P.O. Box 1000, Chester PA 19022
Phone: (800) 888-4213 (for Credit Report orders) Phone (800) 916-8800 (for disputes)
If there is anything on your report that is not right, you can dispute it. The disputed company has 30 days to respond. If they don't, they will take it off. Many don't respond. If you still have a problem with an item, you can add a 100 word statement explaining why to your credit report.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959