Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  oral

oral

Hello,
My question is this. "would letting the oral board know that smoking was a weakness (for 5 years)that I did smoke and then quit cold t*rkey to persue a career in the fire service". A good thing or bad thing.Would they see smoking as a health risk for me in the future, or possibley a weakness.
Thank you for the honesty up front.
h205150

I wouldn't use it! It might lead them to think you had an adicitive personality.

Keep it simple. Are you a good speller, cook, take on more than you could handle at times? Then how have you handled that weakness?
"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"
Author of the new book Becoming A Firefighter--The Complete Guide to Your Badge!

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

Thank You Captian Bob.
h205150

Congratulations on quitting smoking. It's no easy feat.
I agree with Captain Bob. The profile of a smoker (current or former) is not what you are looking to project.

Idnetify an area of weakness and Most IMPORTANTLY what you have done (or are doing) to correct it.

Ie: My math skills were not great so I took a math course.
I didn't know how to cook but I took a cooking class....
There is no right or wrong answer, the board is jsut throwing it out there. Remember the board will do uch more listening than talking. We need to give you thought provoking subjects to speak about.
Paul Lepore, Captain
Author of "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview"
www.smokeyourffinterview.com

Thank you Paul. Sell your boat yet?
h205150

Yes, I did. I was planning on not having a boat payment for a couple of years so I could move forward on a business project and .......Well anyway I just went in partners with a couple other ff's on another boat.
My wife was surprised I lasted three months!
Paul Lepore, Captain
Author of "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview"
www.smokeyourffinterview.com

congrats on the new boat. Im going to cabo San lucas in July (honeymoon) any good places to fish around Pueblo bonito resort at sunset beach?
h205150

Im still trying to stop paying homage to the nicotine god. I isnt that I even want to smoke ever again, I dont, I just get irratable from the withdrawls. I guess thats expected after smoking for many years. I am however down to a 1-2 a week.
If you have study / test books for sale, email me!