Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Public Safety Testing

Public Safety Testing

I tested with Public Safety Testing in July and scored fairly high: %90.5, and will now be taking the CPAT in December. I was told when I pass the CPAT; I should allow 4-6 weeks before I contact the departments I tested for. Does anyone have any advice/experience on how to best approach contacting each department, if I do not hear from them within that 4-6 week timeframe? Obviously I want to walk that fine line of being persistent vs being a nuisance.

Any advice you can provide is appreciated!

Thanks!
Brian :quest: :quest:
This message was edited by brian_15 on 10-28-03 @ 8:14 PM

Hey Brian,
I'm really thinking about taking the Public Safety Test .. but I'm not sure what to expect on it .. could you let me know what I shoud expect on it .. thanks

Brian-I also took the Public Safety Test just last week and will also be taking the CPAT on Dec. 13 or 14. I don't know what departments are on your agency list, but if Bellevue is one of those departments rumor has it they are likely to be contacting people from that list shortly after the results are provided to them from Public Safety. My understanding is that they are wanting to get going on a new academy early next year. Who knows though, that's just the word around the water cooler. What other departments are on your list? If I hear anything I'll give you a heads up.
Kosiuge-I have to say I have really enjoyed working with the folks at Public Safety, they make the process a little easier! The written was really easy, it consisted of two parts; a 105 question portion that covers everything from reading comprehension to basic math, and a 50 question portion that is basically a personality profile. The big thing is to NOT overthink the profile questions, just answer the questions the way you really feel and not he way you think they want you to answer them. READ THE STUDY GUIDE. It will prep you for the type of questions and that will be on there. Don't worry, this test is a breeze, just prep a little and you'll do just fine. Good Luck!

The results for this testing cycle (June-Dec) for the Public Safety Test were sent to the departments on your list on Jan. 5th. Hopefully we all will be receiving something soon.

Brian,
I can only speak for myself, however I am where you want to be. Many departments handle their hiring through their Human Resources departments and are perfectly happy to tell you whether or not they have all the information they need for your packet. The outsourcing of testing/CPAT is fairly new, but more and more depts. are looking to it to save costs in the hiring process. Keep in mind that it cost money to hire new cantidates, and that all applicants must have an equal shot at the job by law. Just call and ask the respective contacts listed for each job opening whether or not they have received your CPAT results. One or two calls to them will not make you seem over-eager but prudent in your job search and serious about coming to work for them.
GL from Virginia!!
Blaine from Alexandria Fire Department
Alexandria, VA