Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Firemen in the Family?

Firemen in the Family?

Can you benefit at all from having family in the Firefighting profession? Also, can a higher education (Master's) help better your chances of getting an interview?

CASLIM
[image]http://www.nconnect.net/~chuck/Taz%20Photos/firefighter.gif[/image]

Can you benefit at all from having family in the Firefighting profession?

Sure. I would opine that the *key* benefit of having a Fire Service career employee in your family is that you may have been exposed to and (hopefully) come to understand some of the demands and culture of our vocation.

The idea however, that nepotism or an advanced educational degree might play some part in your getting an *entry* level interview is negligible or impossible. Some will be quick to say such is irrelevant - and I will concur.

I have yet to see a career Fire Department entry-level application that requires an advanced degree. Getting to the entry-level interview you mention typically requires that you pass a basic written exam. Such is achievable by most who have only a GED or High School Diploma.

I'd encourage you to read the job announcements for Fire Service career positions that interest you. While exceeding the minimal requirements can be highly beneficial, you can rest assured that a promising career can be achieved by those who meet the minimal requirements.

To get to the point, the problem is not "getting an interview". The challenge is in how well you do at the interview. To that end, you'll find some great information here in the Firecareers BB!

Please take a moment to search the many posts in this forum to learn more about how others are enhancing their potential for acquiring the career of their dreams.

Brian

Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!
This message was edited by lafdpso on 1-8-04 @ 11:34 AM

Yes, absolutely having a firefighter in the family can help you. He or she can teach you the culture and point you in the right direction.

Do not tell me on the interview that your father is a firefighter (or you grew up in a firefighter family). That appears to be asking for extra points. It is important to earn it on your own merrit. Who knows there is a good chance that the person evaluating you may have worked with and not have a high opinion of your relative.

Paul Lepore, Captain
Author of "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview"
www.smokeyourffinterview.com
Think outside of the box!

First, I would like to state that I mean NO disrespect to either Capt. Lepore or lafdpso, and am offering this information to make caslim aware that nepotism is, in fact, alive in the fire service, whether you choose to believe it or not. I had the priveledge of testing for LBFD in 1993 and was one of the 5000+ applicants for the 21 available slots. What transpired from that recruitment was an investigation as to whether or not nepotism (favoritism shown to a relative, as by giving an appointive job, on a basis of relationship) was a factor in that year's recruit class. The following was taken from an article I saved in the October 3, 1993 Long Beach Press-Telegram (I was a LB resident then). Article#9310040076 "The city's first fire academy in three years begins next month, and seven of the twenty one recruits are the sons of Long Beach firefighters. There were 5,000 applicants for the 21 slots. The new hires who attended their orientation session Monday include the sons of Deputy Chief Skip Beck, Deputy Chief Rick DuRee and Battalion Chief Gary Bradford, as well as the offspring of a captain, two fire engineers, and one retired firefighter." Caslim: I'd like to offer you the following advice, and take it for what you think it's worth. Know that you will be testing with individuals from various backgrounds and with various levels of training. What you need to concentrate on is becoming the best candidate YOU can be. Yes, I was a bit perturbed to "ASSume" that someone may have gotten an "unfair advantage" over me, however, that's just the way that paper's series ran on this issue. I soon came to realize MY shortcomings and that perhaps it was ME which needed to explore avenues for "advantages" whatever they may be. For me, it became a clear-cut case of "quit blaming others and look in the mirror". By practicing this philosophy, you will develop better self-confidence knowing that you did everything within your power to become the best candidate and this confidence will show in your interview. Take heed to what Capt. Lepore and lafdpso say when referring to knowing or being related to another individual in the department. You DO NOT want to be "tagged" as the relative of that less-than-desireable person on the department. This post is in now way intended to discredit any individual linked to LBFD or question anyone's integrity or ethical standards. Respectfully, 2112

I agree with 2112 , I have seen it first hand, In addition to getting hired , some stations will ask you to go there because "my grandfather worked with your grandfather" or because his "dad was a good fireman" ect ect; lucky for us , most oral boards now days are compromised of different members of the comunity and different depts in the city; they are more difficult to sway but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen; as far as "dont tell them your father is a Firefighter" is concerned believe me; those Firefighters in the oral board know who you are long before you opened your mouth, specially if you "visited" the stations prior to the interview,or if your dad called those people who are know to "always"do interviews. This post is not intented to discredit anyone, or to question the fairness of the process, it is based on my personal observations made before and after I was hired. By the way both Capt. Lepore and LAFDPSO are great sources of information; If I was you, I would listen to what they have to say. Good luck and yes this is still the BEST JOB in the world.
This message was edited by hoseman2 on 1-21-04 @ 12:29 PM

Your facts are completely true. Without bringing up the incident I was eloquently trying to get my point across. Just because the fire chief made a poor choice, it is important to note that all of the firefighters on the floor did not support his choice.

I think you said it best. Convey to the board why YOU are the best candidate. Make your own name, don't try to benefit from someone else's hard work.
Paul Lepore, Captain
Author of "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview"
www.smokeyourffinterview.com
Think outside of the box!

You always have to be the absolute best that you can be while testing. There can be four generations of firefighters in your family, and it doesnt mean you know which end of the nozzle to hold. It has been my priviledge to know a few who have had relatives in the fire service before them. Of those almost all had a distinct advantage once they got to the academy. NOT because of who daddy was, but because they already were familiar with gear and equipment. I have also known one who wanted to "ride the coat tails"...after the academy he pursued the career for about two months. He then decided that although the fire service "was in his blood"...he didnt want to waste his time testing.

Like everybody says....Its all up to you what you will be known for.
Be......OUT-standing!

big daddy you are living in a fantasy world if you honestly believe that; nepotism is alive and well in the fire service all you have to do is looking around and see those turn outs with the same last name worn by two different people. Knowing the "gear" please, a basic firefighter academy is just that a basic firefighter academy if you pay attention the instructors will give you all the tools you need to succeed, "knowing more" in a basic academy is not always a good thing. In a basic academy you want to keep your mouth shut and say as little as you can when asked a question, most drill instructors dont care about what you know or think you know. I dont mean to sound rude I just think that in order to make those statements you need to be "in" (hired) all you have to do is look around and you will see it, thats all im saying.

"In a basic academy you want to keep your mouth shut and say as little as you can when asked a question"

I'm confused!

Tom no problem ill un-confused you, the message I was trying to convey is that you dont want to volunteer any additional information, case in point if they ask you "recruit ----- how many feet of supply line do you have in this pumper" the answer should be direct and to the point , some people will try to impress the instructors by answering, these many feet of supply line oh yeah and these many feet of attack line and lastly these many feet of a booster line. great answer but way too much information and whats happens if you are wrong with the additional information? The best recruits I have seen are usually low profile guys who will answer a question directly and to the point without any additional unrequested information. hope that helps. I think we are getting off track a bit here, but if you have any more questions TOM PM me I'd be happy to clarify things for you. be safe
This message was edited by hoseman2 on 3-11-04 @ 6:29 PM