Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  what to wear?

what to wear?

I have a question possibly for Capt. bob or anyone else about what to wear during an oral board. The department I am testing for tells you in the interview notice that the dress is ( dress casual, dockers and polo shirt. if you would feel more comfortable wearing a suit feel free to do so. ) they tell you this in both your first interview and the chiefs oral. I wore dockers and a polo , everyone else had a suit and tie on. I am the only one following orders or am I missing the point. thanks

Welcome Aboard!

If you know who Captain Bob is, it seems an enigma that you can't almost hear his voice in your sleep when it comes to this subject! :)

Yes, you should have worn a suit. While awaiting a reply from the good Captain or the many other oral interview experts in this forum, you might want to use the "search" function to see the many earlier (and some quite recent) postings on this very subject.

Use the search button above and enter the phrase "suit" and you'll come up to speed on this issue in no time at all!

Best Wishes!

Brian
Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

Brian it right. The strongest non-verbal statement you can make in the oral board is what you wear. It is time to step up and make the investment.

There's nothing quite like the look on a candidate's face when he enters the "holding pen" room where everyone waits to be called for their turn to interview, and realizes that he's the only one not wearing a suit.

Don't be that guy.

I was "that guy"!! I prepared so hard for my interview that I totally forgot to ask people what to wear. I just assumed slacks and a dress shirt would work. Wearing a suit never even crossed my mind!

Turns out, I was the only one in the waiting room not wearing a suit!! Everyone else was so GQ that I felt like I was sitting in a room full of investment bankers. I could tell everyone was looking at me like there was one less candidate to give him or her competition.

I wouldn't recommend that to anyone. It was definitely a psychological disadvantage to walk into a room full of slick candidates and then have to walk into the interview with an air of confidence. It was even worse waiting for the results thinking that I blew it by not wearing a coat and tie.

When in doubt take it one level higher. If it is indeed casual, take off your jacket.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"
Author, book Becoming A Firefighter--The Complete Guide to Your Badge! http://www.eatstress.com/firefighterbook.htm

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

For all intent and purpose, there is no such phrase as "Business casual" when it comes to fire service related interview and assement activities.
When you are given a choice of how to dress for these situations, ALWAYS go with the higher level of dress. The only exception is when you are directly told by a fire department representive to dress otherwise.
The term "business casual" is NOT part of the fire service when it comes to having you present yourself for assement for you suitablity for the job. You may have seen those words on the job flyer or in notices about the testing/interviewing sent to you from the personnel department/Human resources. The personnel/HR department is NOT the fire department and is not where you will be working if hired. While your conduct is noted in how you interact with the personnel/HR folks, it is the FD people you need to impress as that is where the job offer is going to be coming from.
When given the option of how to dress, always take the upgrade. If you were interviewing for a position for dogcatcher (Ahem......Animal Control Officer) or even pooper-scooper at the animal shelter, you will never go wrong with a suit! Best wishes

Shouldn't this extend to all interaction with a potiental employer? I tested sometime back with a CA department and was suprised when I sat for the written that many of the folks there where in short sleave teeshirts and sneekers.
S.Neville
Washington Hospital Center/MedSTAR Medevac