Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Test Study

Test Study

Hi,

I am getting ready for an upcoming fire test. The test can't really be studied for because it is video scenarios.

However, one section that can be brushed up on is the english part. This section is a paragraph with words missing. The missing words are in a column and you are to choose the correct word to fit the sentence. The tricky part is that some sentences have three blank words after one another.

My question: Is there any adult material out there that could work my brain? I thought about Madlibs but those are written for children. I checked the triva section at the book store and nothing.

Ideas anyone?

Thank you,
Dan
Dan

Just because a tool is designed for a child doesn't mean that it will not help you as well. Simply reading different material will also assist you.

My question is however, what does this type of testing prove as far as an assessment other than that candidate can use proper sentence structure and grammar.

The fire service too seems to have lost it's way when it comes to testing, the important things to remember is when the going gets hot the cool keep going and proper sentence structure will not be noticed on the fireground.

Good luck

Axe.

On the very face of this question, I believed I had a "simple" answer. Was I wrong. (Won't be the last time either!)

In order to back up my "simple" answer, I called in favor with an associate from the California State University Long Beach English department. Within thirty seconds, it was apparent the question at hand was anything but simple. In an attempt to gain facts and figures, I learned there is so much more going on here than meets the eye. After two hours of discussion I was no longer sure of the answer I originally had in mind, much less any other possible answer suggested.

So instead of offering up my opinion as to what the answer is, I will offer you three possible answers (there are many more!) and let you use your dendrites, axons and synapses to do the mental work. Here goes:

1. Due to economical/political aspects in the testing of firefighter candidates, English comprehension is used as factor in determining the suitability of a candidate for the job.
The idea is to have a large group of candidates to draw from but not too large a group. The more candidates that have to be interviewed, the more it costs to rent facilities and pay staff members. Even agency owned facilities coast money to operate. English/communication skill assessment is one way to reduce the number of candidates.

2. English/communication skill portions of the exam screen out those who are not
capable, or less capable than other candidates.
Firefighters can be required to complete various reports, make up lesson plans and
interact with the public via written correspondence. While fire combat is part of a
firefighter's duties, actual fire combat is a small percentage of the job. This portion of the
exam screens out the less qualified candidate. (This paragraph also would indicate to the
oral interview panel that you know the duties of a firefighter or not)

3. Lack of, or lower proficiency of, english/communication skills usually is a red flag that a candidate is not suited for the high level of cognitive thought required of that of a firefighter.
A firefighter is required to think quickly, determine the nature of an emergency situation
and devise an appropriate course of action. While there are many intelligent persons in the
world who can verbally communicate quite effectively and efficiently, not every one of
those intelligent people can write a report or communicate information on paper or even
in cyber space. Various department and organizational forms must still be filled out and
submitted by hand even in this computer savvy world.
Between the routine and the emergency nature of the fire service, a firefighter must
communicate logical and appropriate thoughts in an effective, efficient and timely manner.
A high level of proficiency in english/communication skills is a direct indicator of an
candidate who can think at a high level required for the job of firefighter. A candidate who
can not demonstrate a level of competency of english/communication skills is eliminated
early in the hiring process or, if hired, runs the risk of not passing probation. Fire agencies
are indeed concerned with the cost of hiring a candidate only to see that candidate flame
out in the academy or fail the probation period.

With just three possible answers, my brain is spinning. (So what else is new? My head hurts!) And for those who did not know, somewhere along the line there is a promotional exam in your future with more english/communication questions and exercises. (Even for Chief officer!)
If you are not proficient in english/communication skills, get yourself into an English composition or Technical writing class at your local junior college. No one was ever born a natural firefighter or born a natural communicator. Just as a firefighter becomes proficient by drilling, so does an individual become proficient at English/communication skills. Best wishes
This message was edited by tomdeltazulu on 2-27-04 @ 12:02 AM