Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Physical Training  /  physical prep for pack test/field test

physical prep for pack test/field test

Would like to know if anyone has any advice on preparing for the pack test,i work out at the ymca,any ideas on what machines or tread mill,or stairmaster equipment would prepare me these type of tests,i have tried to find out from someone who has takin the field test with orange county fire reserve hike test,but know one seems to have any idea,what i am taking about,anyone who has a program that could help me prepare would be greatly appreciated,thanks so much Dan-o
Kindest Regards Dan

[quote]...i have tried to find out from someone who has takin the field test with orange county fire reserve hike test,but know one seems to have any idea,what i am taking about,anyone who has a program that could help me prepare...[/quote]

Dan-o,

I have taken the Pack Test numerous times for different agencies, but I'm sure it's the same as OCFA's.

In case you didn't know...
The [url=http://www.fs.fed.us/fire/safety/wct/2002/brochure_2002.pdf]Work Capacity Test [/url] (WCT) also known as the ?Pack Test? consists of hiking (usually walking on flat ground) 3-miles while carrying a 45-pound backpack or weight vest. The test is pass/fail and must be completed within 45 minutes.

How to prepare for the Pack Test...
Test your self. First get a backpack and throw some weight in it (a sand bag weighing 45 lbs should be just fine), then go to a quarter-mile track & field at a high school or college and walk (DO NOT RUN) around the track 12 times (3 miles). You should time your self every time you practice this; your goal should be to do it in under 45 minutes.

Good luck and stay safe,
GM3rd

"No one's perfect, practice makes improvement"