Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Thinkin about jumpin ship....

Thinkin about jumpin ship....

Ive always wanted to become a FF... Ive been workin on my AA degree at the local community college, Ive gotten my EMT and started Medic school, and have gone on tons of ride a longs, however, my older brother is a cop in Atlanta and when I went to go test with AFD I went on a ride a long with my brother, and just fell in love with it. The same way I did with FF when I got started a few years ago... Well now I dont know what to do.... After a lot of thinking, Ive decided that you could flip a coin, and id be happy with either career.
My question is, has anyone else out there experianced this???? Any advice would really help!!
STAY SAFE!!!
~ Dustin ~

Look for a public safety agency like Sunnyvale (Santa Clara Co, CA), Marina (Monterey Co, CA) or Ronert Park (Sonoma Co, CA), then you get to do both.

Just remember...a cop is a wannabe firefighter who couldn't pass the test. ;)

Seriously though, weigh the pros and cons for both and go for your dream. Whatever makes you happy, that goes a long way. You will find opinions biased towards firefighting on this board for obvious reasons. Just figure out what you want and go for it.

Good luck with your decision.

In all honesty it is much easier to become a cop. If you are torn between the two, become a cop. The road to your goal is much easier.

Paul Lepore, Captain
Author of "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview"
www.smokeyourffinterview.com
Think outside of the box!

I know your just kidding with your comment but I have several friends that are in law enforcement and not a single one has ever had a desire to be a firefighter.
Most firefighters that I know are not smart enough, and could not handle the mental stress and memorization that police officers are asked to endure. Not only that, but we in the rescue/fire/EMS side probably could not handle the quantity and detail of reports those in law enforcement have to complete every shift. It would take away time from the lazy boy, PT, gossip and coffee, car washing, and messing around on this web site time.

That's like comparing apples and oranges. Cops have stresses that firefighters don't, and visa versa. I don't know what firefighters you know, but the ones I know are pretty smart. I don't think you can become a medic if you don't have a high level of intelligence.

Beachnative;
If your comment was directed at me, no I was not kidding. It is much easier to get hired on the police department.

I am not demaeaning the job of a police officer, I am simply stating that there is much less competition to get a police officer badge than a firefighter badge.
Paul Lepore, Captain

I was actually repling to Scr*pper's post.
This message was edited by beachnative on 4-24-04 @ 1:47 PM

Sorry for sticking my nose in where id didn't belong. Please accept my apologies.
Paul Lepore, Captain

Some thoughts...

I can name several Cops that went to the fire side.
And maybe 2 that went form fire to police.

And please consider these few words that a cop sees more than a Firefighter- bullets, court and...(the worst)...paperwork. LOTS of it vs. the fire side.

It might be hard to see a bullet, but firefighters see and treat the bullet wounds... Court? not all the time but it does happen every once and a while... Paperwork? Yes, police have lots of paperwork but fireighters have to do reports and paperwork on everything that happens as well... Just a thought...

Demo- No dude. More bullets involved with poice work. Court happens offen. Paperwork- Police officers do WAY MORE paperwork and report writing than the fire side.

I love my firefighter job, But the show "Cops" is pretty cool! Ill take fire over Bullets!

But please consider that bullets are not complete strangers to firefighters especially in some of the Calif communities. Numerous stations still have bullet-proof vests available to crews. They tell me the paperwork increases once you've been hit. Don't plan on finding out

Been shot at three times so far...... all misses :0
This message was edited by Snakepit on 5-9-04 @ 9:55 PM

Both jobs are challenging. The biggest difference I see is the mindset.

Believe me both jobs are challanging! and Andre ..so true the mindset IS totally different. Ive been both. Police and Fire. A totally different world. However police workis certainly suited to some!....and u can always get a job as a cop and then keep testing for fire!!!! Trust me....it WORKS!!!!
Be......OUT-standing!

Both sides of the fence!
I have friends that like both sides Fire and PD so they tested for Harbor Patrol and do dive rescue, fire fighting, EMS and law enforcement. I have a friend who is a Ranger for the BLM and another for Burbank Parks and another that is a LA City Ranger. I have a friend that works up at Camp Roberts and is a Public Safety Officer that does both. I would recommend you investigate these possitions as there are less applicants. But you got to be able to swim good!!!!
olddawg

To an outsider, Fighting crime seems to have a real adversarial component to it, unlike fighting fire where the "fighting" really means "rescuing from".

Before I made the decision to abandon my pre-fire career, I made every effort to find out the worst parts of fire-fighter life. Convincing myself of the great aspects of the job was easy, so I quizzed firefighters about the worst parts of the job, tried to do ride-alongs in the least desirable parts of the city, etc. I failed to talk myself out of the fire career, and my will toward it only became stronger.
I would recommend that you (Dustin) try the same thing with cops if you haven't already. If your police ride-along included patrolling but didn't include exposure to the hours spent writing reports, going to court, etc., I would suggest you experience that a couple of times and see how well you can stomach it.

Good luck.

Do like I did, BOTH! I was a Firefighter and a "Reserve" Police Officer. My job was at the firehouse but my "2nd" was with the PD. I got to do most things the regular officers did, but without all the paperwork and court. Sometimes both though. Usually just a 2nd officer in the patrol division.
Downside to being a reserve... NO PAY! You gotta love it to do it.
Good Luck,
KC

I know this has nothing to do with the topic, but.......My city hires police officers like it is going out of style. It seems that everytime we roll down the street with PD there are new young faces. From what I understand (and see with my eyes), getting hired as a PD officer is 20-30 times easier than becoming a fireman. Judging by the 63" officers that are hired nowadays. I fear for their safety. Unless they control the scene properly, one solid punch from a thug running around my city would at the least mame them if not kill them. Firemen rarely deal with that stuff. If it presented, I know two to five of my bros are there.....cops.....normally one until backup is there. NO THANKS
I LOVE MY JOB!

Do what is in your heart, if becoming a Police Officer doesn't work out, you can still become a Firefighter. Letting us here, in these forums choose for you isn't the answer, because everyone has their own opinions. Fourteen years ago, I had three job offers with the local Fire Department... Rejected all three, I was hell bent on becoming a Police Officer... Guess what? I am on the road to career in the Fire Service now.
This message was edited by ConFireE82 on 1-20-05 @ 3:45 PM

Hey Paul,

My dream is to become a fire fighter, and I recently got accepted as a volunteer for Deluz Volunteer Fire Department. It is about 30 miles from Fallbrook. Too many things don't add up at this dept. They are not contracted for fires and medical aids through the county and or city. I was a volunteer in the past through a legitimate volunteer fire company and I just want some info. I don't want nothing getting in the way of my dream. Thanks, Scott Cowan
P.S. I know this has nothing to do with the topic of discussion but I don't know who to ask.
God Bless, Scott Cowan
FUTURE FIREFIGHTER

My cousins husband got hired as a sheriff about 4 years ago.. he lasted 6 months and didn't like it.

He tested to become a Firefighter, and was hired within 1 year, and loves his job.

ps. Sheriffs are required to work in a jail for the first 2 years before hitting the streets..I'm guessing this is why he hated going to work so much.
Networking is key
[url=http://www.FireNetwork.net]www.firenetwork.net[/url]