Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  irate citizen

irate citizen

How would you handle an irate citizen? As this has been an interview question in the past, I am still not confident that I have the complete answer. Any input is appreciated - especially if you've nailed a badge! Also, would you ad a personal experience? or keep it general for any situation.
First, I would ask the interview panel if it looks like I need law enforcement or see any abnormal signs & symptoms of the citizen - or mention to evaluate the scene for the need (radio for it if needed). This would include any other safety issues such as smell of alcohol/other signs of drug use, altered mental status, weapons nearby, or other bystanders, broken glass, etc.
Then, I would introduce myself and my partner and ask them their name, and to tell us everything that happened and listen with good eye contact. Once they are done, empathize with them, and try to isolate the problem(s)so they understand. If they present signs/symptoms of altered mental status or drug use/alcohol use, then I would try and get a SAMPLE, and notify my Captain, or PD if needed. Give them choices of action, or ways to deal with the problem - i.e. make a written complaint/talk to a manager/ Maybe bystanders can help, OR make the situation worse. If there are apologies to be made, have them made at that moment if possible. Depending on the citizen's reactions, they will either cooperate and leave the scene or not. If not, notify my Captain of the situation, and he will either decide, or leave it up to me as to whether or not to call the PD, because we don't want the situation to become worse after we leave the scene.

You have made some points that I would not advise in an interview.

You eluded to the fact that the person may be intoxicated, or on drugs ar have an altered mental status. You also spoke of calling the PD.

This direction seems to conflict with being a "public servant."

My suggestion is to listen to what the individual has to say. They may have a legitimate complaint. If so, the department needs to take corrective action. Just because they are "irate" doesn't mean they are wrong.

In almost 20 years on the fire department I have never summoned the PD over an irate citizen who has a "complaint." Mind you that I have called PD (code 3) on numerous occasions that involved criminal activity but never over a citizen complaint.

Listen to the individual. Introduce yourself and ask for his or her name. If it is a matter of the citizen being misinformed (they felt the response time was too long), educate them and hopefully the problem will be resolved. If not, which probably won't happen in an interview. Ask the citizen to wait until you could get your captain.

Address your captain out of earshot and give him or her the particulars. Introduce your captain to the citizen and be supportive.

If you were able to resolve the issue without involving your captain, it's important to give him or her a "heads up" of what transpired. You would look pretty silly if the chief called your captain to see why he recieved a citizen complaint. Your captain will be very upset with you when he or she finds out you did not inform them of the confrontation.

Paul Lepore, Captain
Author of "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview"
www.smokeyourffinterview.com
Think outside of the box!
This message was edited by Paul on 5-10-04 @ 5:08 AM

Captain Lepore, thanks for your critique - just what the Dr. ordered! I have your book, and have read the "after dinner basketball game being too loud" - however, that was at the fire station, so a littl different, however the same as far as providing customer service. Thank you!