Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  serious about ff

serious about ff

Hello, my name is Jason and I am seriously in becoming a firefighter. I just recently came out of playing professional baseball, and I now what to pursue a carrer in firefighting. I am fully aware that it is a long tough road but I am am prepared to take that drive. I have several resources in that I currently have 4 people close to me that work for the LAFD, but I was recently told that this website is a great tool to use to get going in the right direction. I have a 4 year degree with a B.S. in Kinesiology, I am an EMT, and currently working for a private ambulance company who is a 911 provider(Hall Ambulance Service, Bakersfield California)I am 24 years old and I have spent the last 16 years playing baseball very seriously. One positive thing about that was I did get a degree out of it. In my heart I knew I wanted to be a firefighter, so here I am ready to do whatever it takes to wear that badge. Sorry for the long drawn out story, I just wanted to paint a picture. So I am looking for some guidance as to what i can do to best enhance my chances of getting on.
Thank You to anyone who would like to share their information it is greatly appreciated.
Gortex12

The very best tip I can offer?

Rather than spending two hours here and there watching television in the coming weeks, spend 10 solid hours beween now and December 1st reviewing the archives of this forum.

Not one hour, not six - but ten solid hours!

At the risk of sounding aloof, let me assure you that it may be the best career advice you've ever been given, regardless of the price.

Brian
Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

Dude, get testing!

It looks like you have been layin' down some serious groundwork. Ask one or all of your buddies @ LAFD about who is testing, times, dates, etc.

This site also has a "Job Search" to let you know of upcoming tests in any state you want. (if you haven't done that already.) Checking out some of the FF study guides wouldn't hurt either. There are also some very informational topics/questions covered in here as well, some of these guys are seriously squared away!

GET TESTING BRO!

GOOD LUCK!!
"Attitude is everything!"

thank you very much for your input, i am going to be taking la city's test, as well as pasadena and la county in january, any other help would be greatly appreciated