Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  color vision

color vision

In looking at various fire department requirements, a vast majority of them require normal color vision. This seems to be an outdated and irrelevant requirement. I am already a career ff/pm with red/green color blindness. It has not affected my job at all and my state has given me all my fire certs, ems certs, drivers licensce, etc. The only argument that I have heard is that it is difficult to tell the color of smoke. However, I still see colors and I can read smoke and tell what the colors mean. I've seen some case law where applicants have been rejected, but then overturned because of a lack of supporting evidence as to how it affects the job. Any opinions out there about overcoming this obstacle without going to court? Thanks

Colorblind

For some time, we have been following the progress of ColorMax lenses since the FDA approved them. colorblind people?color deficient is considered a more accurate term because most of them can see some colors. The genetic defect that causes the visual problem makes it more common in men. Some colorblindness affects about one in 12 men and one in 200 women.

One of our candidates was concerned about the color deficient test. Though he had some color deficiency, to his surprise he could identify those colors (they used a multi colored stuffed animal) that the department was testing for.

ColorMax glasses give a patient with color vision problems an option for both subjective and objective tasks they might not otherwise be able to do. But it?s highly individualized. Some people do great with it, and others don?t get much out of it, and others don?t like it. But everybody gets some effect with the glasses, which cost up to $700. Some people go from seeing five colors to seeing 14. By the way, many PD?s/FD?s are doing away with the CV test all together or are just going with traffic signal color recognition tests. Good luck to you. . . .

It?s not known whether fire department gatekeepers and other agencies that require good color vision will accept people wearing ColorMax glasses. These lenses can be incorporated into contact lenses. Only one lens will have the coating. It could take up to 6 months to go through the break in period with the contacts.

I am color deficient as well. I have what?s called a red green deutan. I got the contact lens (only one needed) and when going through the ishihara test (which is the one most use) I pass with the lens. Only problem is that most places don?t allow you to test with any correction, both color or regular. Also there is an issue with wearing contacts in a HAZMAT situation.

The latest NFPA standards 1582 for the year 2000 have an update in the vision section, which states that color blindness will be considered on a case-by-case basis. It was great to see that but also stinks because each department has different standards. You start to find out which departments are more lax than others. Ventura for example is very cool about the issue and has alternate tests such as the Farnsworth 15 which is easier to pass. LA City however is very strict and close-minded to the issue. Only way to beat them is to cheat and I don?t want to do that.

It?s a tough spot because you can?t just go to an expert in the field and get a checkup because every department has different standards on this topic. You have to actually go through a medical to see how much of an issue it really is going to be. Hopefully this will all change soon.

You can get a red tinted ?colormax? lens to help correct your color vision problems. There are also sites online that offer the ishihara tests for free and you can use them to ?study? what numbers you are supposed to see so you can pass the test. I know someone that did this, got hired and has had absolutely NO PROBLEMS at any point on the job (related to color vision that is). Is it cheating or unethical?..I?ll leave that up to you. Is it worth it to get your dream job? I think so, but that?s just me.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob" Author, Becoming A Firefighter
Conquer Fire Department Oral Boards

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959

I think that there are suppose to be around 10% of men who have some degree of color blindness or defiency. I didn't know until I took my first ishihara test for a major city department. I passed the test but found out I had a deficiency. If you've done your homework on this website, you may have come across a test called the Farnsworth D-15. I took this test this past summer to prepare for some upcoming medical exams. I passed 100% and had the doctor write me a letter to explain that I was not color blind, just "deficient," but able to perform the duties of a firefighter.

Good Luck

Is there a standard form departments use? Normally, the color tests have been through the machines that also test for acuity and vision. If so, it appears that there are only a few color plates that they use. I've been able to find quite a bit of info online, but does anyone know if those machines use the same standard? If so, it appears it may be possible to study for it. Thanks for all the good info.