Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Navy SEAL career transition

Navy SEAL career transition

I will be a 40 year old retired Navy SEAL in 2010 and am interested in a carrer in the fire service. I live in California and would like to stay in the western United States. Looking for recommendations on career planning. (i.e. education, how far out from retirement should I begin interviewing, etc.).

I am currently deciding on an academic program for a Bachelor's degree. How much weight will a BS in Fire Science Management carry towards employment? Especially in my case where I have no former experience as a fire fighter.

In most cases, what are the minimum number of years required in order to be elligible for retirement pension?

Trying to figure out what to do with my life post-Navy SEAL (if there is such a thing). The only job I can picture myself doing is in the Fire Service. I've got some years left for planning. I want to make sure I know what I'm getting into and that my initital bearing takes me out long term.

First off, I think a career in the fire service would be an awesome job for you. I am currently an emergency dispatcher and I have been interested in the fire service ever since I was a young boy - the days of "Emergency!".

A BS Degree in Fire Science would be helpful. But I think it would be better for you to get some emergency medical training under your belt too. There is an increasing demand for paramedics. I see a trend going on in a lot of big city departments of recruiting paramedics. The medical field will be a big demand in the years to come. The fire service must keep up with the demand.

I have a question for you too. Do you think the Navy Seal Workout program (written by Stew Smith) is a good workout program to develop strength and cardio conditioning to become a firefighter?

Best of luck!
Ashley

One of my former rookie firefighters was a Navy Seal. Let me tell you, he set the standard. Please shoot me a PM and I will be glad to put you in touch with him.

I would also encourage you to get paramedic training while in the unit if it is available for you. Being a PM will greatly enhance your chances.

As a general rule military men and women do extremely well in the fire service. Seals are on the top of the list.

Stay safe!
Paul Lepore, Battalion Chief
Author of:
"Smoke Your Firefighter Interview"
"The Aspiring Firefighter's 2-Year Plan
www.smokeyourffinterview.com
Think outside of the box!
800 215-9555

SEAL178. First off thanks for the work you do. I have so much
admiration and respect for your work. It sounded like you had some
age concerns in your post. Let me assure you that many West Coast
Departments don't really set an "upper" age barrier. Most rangers/