Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Question about LAFD hiring

Question about LAFD hiring

Does anybody know when to expect an academy for LAFD?
Also are they going to hire paramedics first or go from the top interview scores?? I had friends last test that received a 100% on their interview and never got a job. If anybody can give any input I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Never Quit!!!

Pro7, though your message was in a section of the forum that seeks input from Firecareers staff, I'll do my best (in the interest of being helpful) to offer you a personal, unofficial and non-binding reply. You wrote...

Does anybody know when to expect an academy for LAFD?

Not until (well into?) next fiscal year. Which for the LAFD, begins this July 1.

Also are they going to hire paramedics first or go from the top interview scores??

That is a decision made by LAFD Administration.

I had friends last test that received a 100% on their interview and never got a job.

There were many candidates who scored well in the testing. A raw exam score is but one facet that is judged by those involved in the selection process. There is certainly no guarantee that any candidate with a particular score will be hired.

If anybody can give any input I would greatly appreciate it.

The search function for this forum (see button above right) is a fabulous tool. With a few carefully crafted keywords, there is a great deal of meaningful information at your fingertips. Including a thread you can access via the link below, which will help to quash the never-ending rumor that the LAFD is desperate for Paramedics, or that such licensure is somehow a magic pass to the front of the line. Scroll down in that message to view information posted within the last eight weeks.

http://www.firecareer.com/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=11&Topic=5085

If the men and women of the LAFD who otherwise seem helpful, seem to bristle when bantered by "when - when - when", please let me explain a time honored sentiment:

"If when you get hired is more important than where, the LAFD is likely not the agency for you".

Think about it... oh, and to parrot my admonition in another thread:

Don't get distracted.

Those who have been around these forums for awhile know exactly what I mean. :)

Best Wishes,

Brian
Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

bRian,(lafdpso)
Do U know when The next test date will be?

No. I and many others though, have been told that the recruitment, testing and training process for LAFD Firefighters will (once again) return to being a seemingly continuous rather than sporadic process. Then again, we all know there are many and at times unforseeable forces that come to bear on such decisions. Your best source for official information on test dates for the LAFD remains the City's Personnel Department. For those wishing to commence the process or in need of official/contact information, please visit:

[url=http://www.lafd.org/join]http://www.lafd.org/join[/url]

Please remember that the LAFD including its Recruitment Unit and the City Personnel Department are completely separate agencies.

Best Wishes,

Brian
Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

I have heard a rumor that during the interview process for LAFD and score well you recieve papers to start your background process. Does anyone have information on this? If true, does that mean your out of the process if you dont get those papers after your interview? Thanks

Never give up...Never

Thanks Brian For the Info..

[quote]I have heard a rumor that during the interview process for LAFD and score well you recieve papers to start your background process. Does anyone have information on this? If true, does that mean your out of the process if you dont get those papers after your interview? Thanks[/quote]

It's not a rumor.

Those candidates scoring over 95% on their oral board will receive background investigation papers after the interview. If you do not receive the background investigation papers, then you are out of the process for two years. After two years, you may reapply, granted that LAFD is hiring at that time (they may not be).
This message was edited by Lincoln on 3-26-05 @ 7:38 PM