Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Academies/Certifications  /  TOUGH CHOICE

TOUGH CHOICE

I am hoping someone can shed some light on my dilema. I am 18yrs a volunteer firefighter in my all volunteer town aiming to become a career firefighter in FDNY or newark. But I also want to join the Marine Corps. There's 2 ways I see it. 1 I put my plans on the side, join the Marines For 4yrs serve my country, Be more mature, 21-22 yrs, have some money and then continue my path to a career department. Also I know having military expereince will help in the process of hiring RIGHT? or 2. I try to get on a paid department now with what I got (FF1 certification and volunteer) and avoid the military. As of this moment I'm leaning toward joining the Corps and I am just hoping someone has some insight. Thanks for helping me besides were all family and BE SAFE[font=Georgia]Text[/font][font=Comic Sans MS]Text[/font]

Dog8989-

I usually do not post because I am not yet a FF and thus cannot provide advice on many of the topics posted here. However, let me put my 2 cents in regarding the Marine Corps. I joined the Corps at 17 and served for just over 8 years. Also, I was a Marine recruiter for a year just after Desert Storm.

At 34, I want nothing more than to be a FF and am focused on this goal. Sometimes I wish I would have gotten started earlier but I would not trade in the experience of having been a Marine. The benefits of being a Marine are all intangible in comparison to the other services. I believe that the Corps fosters self-reliance, initiative, leadership, and loyalty early on. In visiting fire departments, I observe that these qualities are also apparent in the fire service.

Like FF?s, Marines share a special camaraderie. For example, I recently visited with my former team leader in Marine recon who I have not seen in over 12 years. He is now a world-renowned knifemaker. Another Marine buddy is a firefighter. Our friendship is still as strong as it was when we were in our early 20?s. As a professional recruiter, I notice that most jobseekers that are former Marines usually go the extra mile and are successful in branching into new directions after getting out. I feel that the reason is that the Corps is very demanding and this experience helps put new challenges into perspective. I will stop now? Good luck in whichever choice you decide. Chief Lepore has been very helpful to me in providing guidance. If you do decide to enlist and have any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Semper Fidelis,

Mark