Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Spouse/Support/Family  /  Spouse, Family & Friends...

Spouse, Family & Friends...

Just a quick note to say welcome to the spouses, significnt others, family and friends of the aspiring Firefighters in this forum. Please take a moment to introduce yourself (first name is fine), and to let us know of your observations, concerns and questions about the tasks and goals that lie ahead.

Brian
Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!

Brian,

You hit the nail on the head. Although I am usually one of the lurkers (as you like to call it) on this bulletin board this is a subject that hits home (No pun intended). While I was in the academy my wife was home with our first child and still working part time. The commitment that a spouse has to make to support his/her loved one during the academy and probation is the same if not bigger that the recruit/fire fighter. I set it up so that my parents came by once or twice a week to help out. My wife's mom also stopped by at least once a week. The help they provided with the cooking and cleaning went a long way. You can be completely prepared mentally, physically, and academically, but if you do not have a team effort on the homefront, your life during or after your academy and probation will be miserable.

Brian,
Personally, thanks for all of your posts. They provide inspiration to continue to raise the bar for the Fire Service.

A Lurker

runner:

Thanks for your kind words (they mean more than you might know) and for your thoughtful contribution.

You wrote something I hope others don't glance over:

I set it up so that my parents came by once or twice a week to help out. My wife's mom also stopped by at least once a week. The help they provided with the cooking and cleaning went a long way.

What you did took dialogue, formal agreement and for everyone involved, some manner of compromise. It did not happen by itself, and no third party did it for you. Kudos to you for having the "up-periscope" mentality so necessary for survival in your career.

Those who aspire to join the Fire Service, especially those who envision entering an Academy within the next 12 months should begin that dialogue and planning today!

Thanks for stepping out of the lurkdom to offer your US $0.02. I'd say with this forum's exchange rate, they're worth a million bucks!

Does anyone else (especially family and friends) have an experience to share or a question to ask?

Brian

Please no e-mail. Public replies only. Thank you!
This message was edited by lafdpso on 4-29-05 @ 1:35 PM