Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  My Credit

My Credit

Up until 2 years ago, my credit was flawless. Since then I have accrued a wife and 2 children. With that, my son became very sick and at the time we had no insurance so his bills went on the card. After that, I got into a Paramedic school that didn't accept financial aid. So needless to say, my bills are insane. While in medic school my wife lost her job, which brought the dilemma of pay the credit card? or feed my kids. I chose my kids and now I gained a charge off (ouch)on my credit. Am I sunk? We are currently paying towards the debt to get right, but will a background investigator understand? Before medic school my credit was excellent. I need feedback guys!

Candidates are looked at as a whole. You obviously have some expaining to do as to why your credit took a nose dive, and your answers seem reasonable, but I am not an investigator, so I can't tell you what they think.

I can tell you, I had a boatload of debt prior to getting hired including, credit cards, school loans, PM school loans, etc. I explained my loans etc with my investigator and they seemed satisfied. All of my debt was because of my drive to get hired and what I needed to get there, not on stereos, 22" rims, big tvs and fancy clothes.

Every department is different when it comes to background requirements, all you can do is expalin yourself and see what happens.

Good Luck!

P.S. It sure is nice to cut those checks and pay it all off once you do get hired though.....

cgjg: I have hijacked your firecareers acct. to tell you: Babe, it's been three years, not two. Boy are you in trouble! :)
Your wife.

This message was edited by cgjg on 7-17-05 @ 7:27 PM