Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Advice needed.

Advice needed.

Hi, I'm new to the site and loving it. I been wanting to persue a career in firefighting ever since 10th grade of high school. I have finally graduated high school and now looking for ways to start off my career. But there are problems. I would love to go to college and get fire science classes get my emt-b license and all but I don't have the money for this. What can I do? Can military be an option? Navy or Air Force? They said they can get you into college pay for your funds. Is this true? If anyone has gone this route can you please explain the benefits and bad. Thanks a lot.
I used to live in an orange complex on the outskirts of her simplicity...........

If I could go back in time and take back with me this desire of wanting to be in the fire service, I would enlist either in the Navy or Army. Sign up for 4 years and get out with enough funds from the G.I. bill that will support myself through 2 years in a community college that offers fire science classes/state certified fire academy. Military experience scores a big plus in the fire service. And since this is post 9/11, being in the military shows a lot of pride and dedication. But then again, you can always work a 9-5 job for the next 2-4yrs and save up as much as you can. Probably do some trade work like carpentry, construction, or whatever labor job that interests you. Good luck!

Hey, there are always options. If you decide to continue with your education there are plenty of doors to open. Do some research and find out what fits your situation. Just for example, there are several student loans and grants available.
-You can take some undergraduate courses at a community college (including Fire Science) before transferring to a 4- year school while working part-time and maybe even volunteering.
-You can attend a State school or University while taking fire science classes at a C.C. to see if it is a career you definitely want.
- You can go the Military route. The Military has delayed entry and ROTC programs that allow you to attend school FIRST, enjoy a few weeks of summer in the military, thereby, entering the branch in the officer ranks. People with service time could explain it better.

The options are out there if you do the research and leave no stone unturned. My personal opinion is, the fire service will always be there. Enjoy life and your new experiences ahead while you are young. Get your education and have fun doing it. Have a back-up plan or education goal. Life changes and you need to prepare yourself to succeed wherever the road traveled takes you. Good Luck

If you go the military route the Air Force has the best fire program followed by the Marine Corps. The Navy considers all of its people firefighters so there is not too much opportunity there but if the Navy interests you damage control would be the "firefighter" position for them. The Army has firefighters but only overseas with a few exceptions, the Air Force and Marines have firefighters inside the US as well as overseas, the Marines do crash rescue only, (civilians do the structure) the Air Force integrates military and civilain firefighters so offers the closest thing to a "city" job. The Air Force is also very good about training. I worked as a civilain firefighter for the Navy and Army and have talked with many military firefighters, all have said go Air Force.

If you want more info on military firefighting there are alot of military FF at Dodfire dot com who can answer your questions

http://www.dodfire.com/index.htm