Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  New to Fire fighting

New to Fire fighting

I have been in EMS for about 14 years now, (pvt ambulance). I am now married with 2 kids. I want to pursue a career as a fire fighter but need some advice. For example, I have no academy yet so I am forced (at least for now) to search out jobs where I can. To be more specific, I live in the high desert and am applying as far away as El Cajon. Who has thoughts? Is this too far to accept? Your wisdom and experience would be appreciated. Thnx

gumby, I'm from So Cal and currently am employed as a full-time paid firefighter/EMT. I started testing in 1995. The first written exam that I took for an FD was in Portland,Oregon. I took every test that I was able to aford to drive to or fly to. I tested in Nevada, Arizona, and Virginia. It took 8 years to get hired. In the meantime, I took an EMT class, got hired by a local ambulance co., worked there for 3 years 9 months, went through a private fire academy, was a reserve/volunteer for 2 years, received my CSFM FF-I cert and continued to take every test possible. So, my advice to you would be to test everywhere you are able to afford to go to, even if it's to get testing exp.

Hope this helps, AZFF
Scott

gumby, I left out that I'm employed in Arizona.

AZFF
Scott

gumby, I left out that I'm employed in Arizona.

AZFF
Scott

More and more departments are requiring that you be an academy graduate. Get through an academy. It'll open up many more doors for testing.

Way to go...life changes are difficult but worth it! First of all, make sure your wife is on board with your endevor. Your a medic, so that will make it easier. I agree with the FF from AZ, take every test you can no mater where they are. I took every test I could west of the Rockies. Get some sort of calendar to track: tests, PATs and interviews. Most big cities will put you through an Academy; so you might be limited to larger departments for now. Look into a weekend academy... they take a bit longer but you can still hold down a job while your in it.

Good luck and never give up.

You can take fire science courses on line. Once you have done this, apply for a part-time academy. Even if you are successful in getting hired, I worry about a guy who has never thrown a ladder or pulled hose making it through a department's training academy.
A candidate with all of your years experience in EMS is valuable but you have to be able to make it through our training.
Lastly, get in shape. Many 10+ year medics are not prepared for the physical demands of the job.
Good luck
Paul Lepore
Battalion Chief
www.aspiringfirefighters.com