Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Wanting a FF career and questions

Wanting a FF career and questions

First off I would like to introduce myself. I am 21 years old. I graduated in 2002 from my local High school, and immediately started taking courses at a local community college in my area for Criminal Justice. I loved the program but my families business got in the way of my education. So I then stopped taking courses and am working full time(managing) at my fathers shop.

I recently wanted to pursue a career in firefighting. The written test will be assigned in April of 05'. I am not sure how to go about this process. I also was informed that I can apply for this test 3 month prior, which I intend on doing. I recently purchased the Norman Hall's firefighter Exam Preparation Book for $15.00

If anyone could give me some incite on how to go about pursuing this career that would be much appreciated. For example, should I be applying to a/several department before I apply for this exam? Should I start taking courses at a college for Emergency Services Technology? Any information would help.

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest that you post this question in the "Open Forum" section and you may receive more responses.

This website is a great start. Get your education...EMT and then Paramedic school is the fastest route in but don't stop there. Get a B.S. or B.A. in something that is transferable to other careers. Start looking for local volunteer fire departments and take every FF test you qualify for. At first there wil be only a few...as you get more education and certifications there will be tons.

For the test, work on mechanical aptitude, `read`ing and math (fractions plus the basics). ARCO puts out a good book...look into geting it and set time to study. Also, start woking on upper body strength...females seem to have a difficult time with some of the PATs due to upper body strength

Good Luck

Welcome to the PFC board. You will find a wealth of information from your peers at this site. Here are some thoughts on how to proceed to your goal.

Two-Year Plan

This sample Firefighter two-year Plan was developed with input form Mike Sarjeant, a Captain on the Long Beach, California, Fire Department.

 If still in high school look into a Regional Occupational Program (ROP).

Many local fire departments have community outreach recruitment programs.

 Graduate from high school or obtain your GED.

A diploma is much preferred.

 Talk with a counselor at a community college that offers fire science courses.

Set up a course curriculum that allows you to obtain a two-year degree in fire science. If the local college does not offer a fire science program, find one that does.

This curriculum should also allow you to complete the prerequisite courses for a fire academy.

 Take an Emergency Medical Technician Course (EMT).

This will accomplish a few things. First of all, it is a course required by most departments. It will also let you know if this profession is for you. If you find you can?t handle the sight of blood or helping people during crises, the fire service may not be for you.

 Enroll in a state certified fire academy.

Many departments require completion of a Firefighter 1 Academy prior to taking the entry-level exam.

Completion of a fire academy prior to being hired will greatly enhance a candidate?s chance of successfully completing the fire department?s academy. Many fire departments have a 25 ? 30% failure rate.

 Find out if your community has either a fire department volunteer program or Fire Explorers.

Volunteering in the fire department is an excellent way to gain real life experience. This exposure will also allow you to determine if this is indeed the right career choice for you.

 Volunteer in your community.

Find something that you are interested in and volunteer your time: church, sports, hospital, YMCA, Red Cross, etc. It doesn?t matter. Get involved. Volunteering is something that should be done because it?s the right thing to do, not because it will look good on a firefighter application.

Firefighters are self-motivated and have historically been involved in their communities. The perception is that if you are helping out in your community now, you will be the type who will likely continue to stay involved after you are hired, helping out in various committees and groups both on and off the job.

 Visit the local fire stations.

Interview the firefighters and elicit their help in planning your career path. It is a tremendous compliment to the firefighters to have someone aspire to be in their position. Visiting the fire stations will help you learn about the job and the culture of the fire service. In addition, you will learn of things that you could be doing to enhance your chances of getting hired. Ultimately, when the department hires, you will be in a good position since the firefighters have gotten to know you and have taken the time to mentor you. There is nothing better than a ?home grown? prospect.

 Prepare for a fire department interview.

Consider the reasons why you want to become a firefighter and be able to express them. Do your research and learn the rules of the road concerning the interview process. Participate in ?mock? interviews with firefighters.

Start a log that includes everything you have done to prepare yourself.

Include details, dates, and names of instructors. Include any personal experiences that may be pertinent to becoming a firefighter.
A few examples of this could be:

You witnessed a car accident and were able to render aid.

You volunteered your time at the Boys and Girls club.

You experienced a life-changing event.

You were voted most inspirational on your athletic team or your fire academy.

Your high school athletic team won the championship.

You were a lifeguard at the city pool.

Anything that you think might be significant. There are no rules. Write it down!

This information will go on your resume, or may be speaking points in an interview. This is preparing you to answer difficult questions in an interview, such as, ?Please share with the panel a stressful time in your life, and how you dealt with it.?

The log should just be an easy and accessible memory jogger for you. If you are comfortable with a pencil and notepad, keep them in your room in a convenient spot so you won?t forget to use them. If you are more comfortable on the computer, then use it to formulate your thoughts and ideas.

 Get in shape.

Firefighting is a very physical job requiring peak physical strength and endurance. If you are not in good physical condition, it will become very evident during the physical agility testing or the pre-hire medical exam. It is also important to look as if you are physically prepared for the job.

If you see a firefighter who looks out of shape, don?t look at him and think, ?If he got hired, so can I!? Odds are he was in better physical condition when he was first hired. You are trying to do everything you can to improve your chances. This is a very important part that you have complete control over!

 Look the part!

The rule of thumb in an interview is to hire someone who you can see becoming a member or your crew tomorrow. A candidate who walks in with excessive facial hair, large tattoos or body piercing that is not permitted by the department?s policies presents as a candidate who is not ready for the position. Do not make the mistake of saying that you will remove them when you are ready to be hired. You are making a statement. It is important to understand that the fire department is a paramilitary organization. These will definitely not improve your chances of success.

Dress professionally.
Invest in a suit and tie. Although not required for the interview, a candidate who does not wear one stands out. First impressions are critical. Make sure the suit is conservative, not flashy.

Dress professionally whenever you will have contact with members of the department. This includes station visits. Remember, it is important to make a good first impression.

 Enroll in a service that lets you know which departments are testing.

There are several businesses on the Internet that will inform you of which departments are testing and what their requirements are.

Most departments test every 2-3 years. They will then hire from the ?eligibility list? until it expires. The window to file an application is usually very small, ranging from as short as 1 day to as long as 30 days. Once the filing period is closed, the department will not accept any more applications. If you don?t have a subscription to one these services, you will miss a lot of opportunities.

Talk to your family.

The decision to become a firefighter is a monumental one. It will most likely be a long road that requires a lot of time and sacrifice. If you don?t have a family or friend support network, it will become extremely difficult. Most importantly, if your spouse does not support your decision, you are destined for failure.

Surround yourself with reputable people.

A firefighter position is a life choice, not just a job. You must be prepared to live your life with excellent moral and ethical values. For this you will need the support of family and friends who are good role models. If your friends are not a positive influence in the community, you may want to find a new set of friends. Remember the old saying, ?Birds of a feather flock together.? A background check will scrutinize not only you, but also the company you keep.

Learn a trade.

Woodworking, framing, electrical, plumbing, welding and automotive are all common examples of a trade. Firefighting is a very physical job that requires good psych*m*tor skills and a hands-on approach. Typically those who have learned a trade possess these applicable job skills. If you know how a building is constructed, you will be able to predict how a fire will travel through it. If you know where the electrical and plumbing is typically run behind the drywall, you will most likely know where it would be safe to open it up. You will also have become very comfortable with power tools. The importance of being able to work with your hands cannot be overstated.

If you don?t currently have this kind of experience, start taking classes in a trade at your community college. You will at least learn the basics. Back this up with some real life practical experience. It will be invaluable knowledge and will play out well in an interview. Mechanical aptitude cannot be learned in an Internet class or while sitting behind a computer.

Improve your public speaking skills.

If you are uncomfortable getting up in front of a group, you must take steps to overcome your fear. The largest percentage of the testing process is the interview, and ultimately a large part of the job deals with public speaking! You won?t talk a fire out, but you will talk to different groups about how to prevent them. If you can present yourself well in an interview, you are leaps and bounds ahead of the others who can?t. Even if the other candidates have more experience than you, the job will usually be awarded to the candidate who can present him or herself in a clear and concise manner.

If public speaking is your downfall, it is imperative to join Toastmasters or take some courses at your community college. A speech and debate class is an excellent way to get over the jitters. Acting or drama classes can also be an excellent way to feel more comfortable in front of a group.

Teaching others can also help you learn to think on your feet. Whether you are teaching CPR and First Aid or your local Sunday school class, it will help you learn to present information clearly and field questions.

A typical interview question might be, ?What do you consider a weakness about yourself?? Your answer could be, ?I used to feel uncomfortable getting up and speaking in front of a group. I knew this was a very important part of my chosen vocation. I took several classes at my community college to help improve my comfort level. Since then I feel much more confident in my ability to speak in public.?

You can have all of the best traits in the world, but if you can?t effectively convey them in an interview they will go unnoticed. Now that?s turning a negative into a positive!

Maintain a clean driving and criminal record.

It goes without saying that firefighters are held to a standard that is much higher than the average citizen. The road is littered with firefighter candidates who have failed their background check due to a poor driving or criminal record.

Maintain a good credit history.

Your credit history is a reflection of your reliability, honesty, organization and attention to detail.

Update your resume.

Make sure your resume has no technical or grammatical errors, is well organized and comprehensive. Ask reliable friends or family to proofread it.

Paul Lepore, Battalion Chief
Author of:
"Smoke Your Firefighter Interview"
"The Aspiring Firefighter's 2-Year Plan
www.smokeyourffinterview.com
Think outside of the box!
800 215-9555