Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Dropping off your application

Dropping off your application

I'll be dropping my application off to 5 CDF stations within this month. What suggestions for what to wear do any of you have?

As with most people, I don't want to overdress or underdress as my first impression. Thanks!

Cultex,

You need to drop off your application at the Unit Headquarters for which you want to work in(Santa Clara Unit HQ, Santa Cruz HQ, etc). Your profile says that you live in Tracy, thats why I picked those units. It's a great idea to stop by the station to meet the station Captains and give them your resume. Just remember that fire season is ending and it wont be until next year that they'll be interviewing. So you'll want to re-visit the stations early next year to refresh the Captains memory!

As far as what to wear- Remember first impressions are very powerful, but I think a suit is over kill for a station visit. Nice slacks/pants, dress shirt and shoes, possible a tie and a resume. Have a list of questions to ask them when you show up there too.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks Slick.

I know fire season doesn't start anytime soon, but the window for dropping off apps is between Nov 1 and Jan 31st.

I have 10 units picked out that are no more than 2 hours away, and have a couple farther south because I have a place to stay with a friend down there.

Thanks for the advice, I'll be sure to follow up with you guys on how that goes.

It's OK to be oversressed. I would wear a suit ant tie. When the firefighters ask why you are so dressed up, you say, "It was important for me to make a good first impression."
Paul Lepore, Battalion Chief
Author of:
"Smoke Your Firefighter Interview"
"The Aspiring Firefighter's 2-Year Plan
www.smokeyourffinterview.com
Think outside of the box!
800 215-9555

You never know who is watching you when you show up at Headquarters or at a station.
While you may be there to gather information, pick up or drop off an application or conduct other business, someone is watching.

Last month, I was thinking about taking a long drive to pick up an application for Fire Chief. As I had been doing projects around the house, I was wearing a pair of beat up short pants and a tee shirt that had historical traces of every project I've worked on for the last twelve months. Hummmmmm........Yeah, I know, I'm just picking up an application, no big deal.

WHOA! I almost fell into my own mental trap!.

I am a shorts guy.( I own four pairs of uniform pants, a pair of dress slacks, a suit and a pair of cammo work pants).

So, I took a shower, put on a new polo shirt and the newest pair of short pants I had and headed out.

When I arrived at the fire department HQ, I was greeted by two volunteer firefighters and we talked about ten minutes getting to know each other.

By the way, the vice-mayor was one of those two volunteer firefighters. (Three guesses as to who is going to be on the assessment panel? (DING! DING DING!)
I had not even picked up the application package but the first interview had already was underway.

Someone IS ALWAYS watching.
Someone IS ALWAYS sizing you up.

You never get a second chance to make a good first impression.

Best wishes

Thanks for the advice Paul and Tom. I'm glad I already have suit to wear.