Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Career

Career

What are the chances of getting hired in Fire Department if I graduate from a Fire Academy?
Thank You
Kathy Ramos

Kathy

WOW kinda a loaded question these days....read the postings about education and life, degrees v. no degrees....Youll get the picture. If your bi-lingual chances are better then not, if a paramedic chances are much greater, It all depends on you, the "package" you are and how u present it to departments.
Grab that BRASS RING with all you have

Though my college degree (B.S.) is not in Fire Science, I'm pursuing a AA in Fire Science. Mostly 18-22 year olds in my classes...a few older as well. What do most have in common? They are getting their AA in Fire Science, which is great and obviously helpful. What are they not?... paramedics.

Good, bad or even indifferent, the way of the future in the Fire Service is the Paramedic Firefighter. A medium department that has an open exam (EMT) can have thousands of applicants. A department like that that requires a paramedic license will have maybe a few hundred. Where do the better odds lie?

Since private or ambulance medics work similar shifts as firefighters, it's not too dificult to get that college fire academy while earning money as a medic and gaining experience.

Rock On...
This message was edited by pacificfatcat on 1-8-06 @ 9:19 PM