Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Question

Question

There has been talk about reducing a charge and having it expounged. How do you do that after you have already been convicted? I have a DUI on my record but could have fought it to a lesser charge but didn't. It was 4 years ago and I have nothing on my record except for that mistake. Is it possible to get it reduced still? Someone please explain to me how that is possible.

You need to contact an attorney. He can have the charge reduced to a misdemeanor, then have it expunged.
You will have to go in front of a judge.
This message was edited by chevelle066 on 12-30-05 @ 7:43 PM

Before you throw a bunch of money at an attorney, you should first contact the court! The court will be able to give you the details necessary to start the process toward an expungement. The above post may be right in asserting that you "may" have it reduced, however, you could save yourself thousands of dollars in attorney's fees if you're willing to "suck it up" and live with your mistake/origional conviction (always declare ANY conviction in a background regardless) and complete the expungement process yourself. Expungements happen more often than you may think. You'd be surprised what you can accomplish by doing your own legwork, even with the criminal justice system! Call the court first!

2112 hit it on the head IMHO.Also keep in mind that if you do get it expounged , That in no way means That Fire Departments wont find out about it.
If on the application or during the background they ask, and they will.." Have you ever been arested?" you still need to reply truthfully even if it was expounged. Once you say "yes" there will be all kinds of questions that you will have to answer.
My Point is that spending big bucks just to have to explain what you got expounged anyway might not be the best choice. Time and a clean track record from that incident is your friend.

FYI, I was arrested 2 times at 17 and 18 years old.I went to the Fire academy at 27, was hired full time at 29 years of age.I have now been on the job 6 years. I had one expounged but answerd truthfully when asked if i had ever been arrested. I later had 3 Job offers at the same time and have worked for 2 great Departments. No one is perfect, Learn from your mistakes. Good Luck.
This message was edited by Incinr8 on 1-8-06 @ 10:01 PM