Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Interview

Interview

Ok I received a letter from a Bothell Fire department saying they wanted me to fill out their city application along with answering one question. So I put my nose to the grind stone with some help from a career FF that I volunteer with. I sent it in and didn't even get a call for an interview! So another volunteer that scored a little lower than me on the written was invited for the oral but not me. What gives??? Any imput would be great
This message was edited by jakes_here65 on 1-20-06 @ 6:25 PM

Jakes, I just had my interview with Bothell on Friday Jan 13th. It was my first interview process with the FD. My 2 cents for what it's worth is that they selected the candidates for the oral based on 3 thing:1)Your resume 2)your application and 3)how you answered the question they asked of us. They weighted the resume very heavily and made that clear when we went through the open house they had a few months back. If you and your friend had the same experience and your resume's were similar.. then likely the way you answered the question was not compelling enough for them. I'd go back and review your resume for content,accuracy,spelling,grammar mistakes etc. I would do the same for your application and then again on your answer to the question and I will bet you find something that clearly differentiated you from your friend. I rewrote my letter 3 times each time it was very different. Did you look on their website? I think in the first paragraph alone they mention teamwork, teamplayer,dedication and customer service 3 or 4 times. I figured that meant those were important attributes to them so I focused my answer around those items for my response as well as many of the oral questions.

Did you friend hear back after his Oral? I was under the impression they were going to contact the candidates who made it to the next step this weekend. I have not heard back so assume either I was not chosen or if I'm lucky... they had some delay in making the selections. Either way it was a great experience to get one under my belt finally! I am looking forward to the next opportunity to show them why I want the badge.

Good luck to you and your friend!

Thanks!

Yes he did hear back. He stated that they took the top 19 for the chiefs interview. I know that he is one of the 19. as for the answer to the question I guess I should go through it and look to see what I messed up on. Thanks for the info and I wish you the best of luck.

Jake