Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Physical Training  /  Getting back to work

Getting back to work

I am finally on the downhill slide of an injury that has had me out of work for over 3 months. As I start my Therapy today I am faced with an issue, they are only going to be focusing on my lower body as that is where I had the injury/surgery. I need to get my cardio and upper body back into shape as well though. So my question is what should I do for those two areas that will not affect my lower body? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Have you considered swimming laps with a pull bouy between your knees? Doing it with paddles would get you a great upper body workout, plus cardio. Go for 10-20 minutes.

Then, depending on how mobile you are: once you are done swimming, try a set of 25 push ups, a set of 25 pull-ups (or to failure-whichever comes first), then a set of 50 crunches. Then repeat this pool side circuit 4-5 sets.

If possible, you could do this whole thing as a circuit: swim 4 lengths, get out, do 25, 25 and 50, get back in and do it all over again. I would do this circuit, with as little rest as possible, for 25 minutes. It will be intense, but hopefully safe for your knees (?).

If there are limitations that don't allow this stuff, let me know. I have other ideas.
Dr. Jen Milus, DC
Author of Fire it Up CPAT Training System
www.fireagility.com

Dr. Jen,
Thank you for your reply. Swimming was recommended to me by the Physical Therapist, but with your spin on it I should get a much better workout. Thank you again and if I have any further questions I will be sure to post them here for your response.

Let me know when you get released to bike- maybe I can give you some more ideas. Good luck!
Dr. Jen Milus, DC
Author of Fire it Up CPAT Training System
www.fireagility.com