Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Physical Training  /  Pack test/CPAT training question

Pack test/CPAT training question

I got a great question, and I thought you guys might want to read about it.
Question:
"I am using your CPAT training program. But, at the same time, I want to train for a pack test. I have a couple of months to get ready for the pack test. I need to carry 45 pounds 3 miles around a track in 45 minutes. How would I work this into training for both at the same time? Let me know what you think, Doc..."

Answer:
If you are doing my CPAT training, along with training for a pack test, I would be careful not to over-train. Be sure you don't do the same exercise 2 days in a row, and take at least one day off every week. If you start to have muscle pain that lasts more than a day or 2, take a day off, and stretch. If it's still not gone, write me and ask about it. If you have joint pain or swelling, write me immediately, or go see your doctor.

Don't put heat on anything unless you are so advised- especially joint pain or swelling. Ice only up to 20 minutes, but never longer. Remember that ice it good for joints, but not always for muscles because it can tighten them up.

Training for both tests at one time may slow down the process. It might, say, take you 16 (or more) weeks to get through my training, which would be okay, if you have the time.

It sounds like you need to be ready for the pack test in 8-9 weeks. So, do the pack test training I will outline below 3 days a week- say MWF, and do the CPAT training on TTHSa. Don't skip ahead in the workbook, though. Trudge through it and do each day's workout, even though the days won't match up. This will mean you finish the CPAT training well after the pack test training, but it's safer that way.

I am not familiar with the pack test about which you speak. Are you wearing a weight vest, where the weight is evenly distributed front to back? Or are you wearing a weighted back back? Either way, train as close as possible to how you expect to do the test. I would prefer the former in terms of injury prevention and biomechanical safety for the spine, but I am not in charge of the test. On the other hand, the SCBA you wear on duty will weight you more in the back than the front, so the latter may be better in terms of finding out who has a strong enough back to do the job when the time comes.

First time out:
Pace yourself. I do this by inhaling on 2 strides, and exhaling for 3 strides. It works really well with running, but it should work for walking too. Walk fast. Walk the entire 12 laps with no weight, and time yourself. Check your mile splits. Try to walk the same pace each mile. Write it down; splits and total time. If I read correctly, you need to do that in under 45 mintes. This should not be a problem.

Training week 1: Put on 5 lbs. Pace yourself with the inhale exhale technique. Record your splits and total time. Record them. The other 2 times this week, keep your weight the same as the first walk with this weight. Try to decrease your time.

Training week 2: Put on 10 lbs. Pace yourself with the inhale exhale technique. Record your splits and total time. Record them. The other 2 times this week, keep your weight the same as the first walk with this weight. Try to decrease your time.

Training week 3: Put on 15 lbs. Pace yourself with the inhale exhale technique. Record your splits and total time. Record them. The other 2 times this week, keep your weight the same as the first walk with this weight. Try to decrease your time.

Training week 4: Put on 20 lbs. Pace yourself with the inhale exhale technique. Record your splits and total time. Record them. The other 2 times this week, keep your weight the same as the first walk with this weight. Try to decrease your time.

Training week 5: Put on 25 lbs. Pace yourself with the inhale exhale technique. Record your splits and total time. Record them. The other 2 times this week, keep your weight the same as the first walk with this weight. Try to decrease your time.

Training week 6: Put on 30 lbs. Pace yourself with the inhale exhale technique. Record your splits and total time. Record them. The other 2 times this week, keep your weight the same as the first walk with this weight. Try to decrease your time.

Training week 7: Put on 35 lbs. Pace yourself with the inhale exhale technique. Record your splits and total time. Record them. The other 2 times this week, keep your weight the same as the first walk with this weight. Try to decrease your time.

Training week 8: Put on 40 lbs. Pace yourself with the inhale exhale technique. Record your splits and total time. Record them. The other 2 times this week, keep your weight the same as the first walk with this weight. Try to decrease your time.

Training week 9: Put on 45 lbs. Pace yourself with the inhale exhale technique. Record your splits and total time. Record them. The other 2 times this week, keep your weight the same as the first walk with this weight. Try to decrease your time.

Stretch every time you workout. Let me know if you have questions. Take of a few days before your test.
Dr. Jen Milus, DC
Author of Fire it Up CPAT Training System
www.fireagility.com