Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  LAFD hiring process

LAFD hiring process

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here. I have recently applied to the LA City fire department. I was just wondering if anyone on here can tell me the details of the hiring process. I know the gist of it all...written and oral tests, background investigation, medical and psychological exams etc. But what are the details of the process. For example, how is the background investigation done? Do they do polygraphs? Drug Testing...what kind? How long does the whole hiring process take? What kind of questions are asked during the oral and written? Thank for any info!!!

Yeah, you take the written test first. It has math, `read`ing comprehension,ect. Then there is a phych. part to the written. This is where I failed on the written. Its like 30 questions, asks about what kind of person you think you are,ect. I passed all of the other parts of the written, but failed the psych portion, thus failing the entire test. I am eligible to retest in Jan 2007. If you fail the written, then you must wait 2 years, yes, 2 years to retest. I have since been hired out here with the Aurora Fire Dept.in Colorado. I am not going to retest with LAFD anytime soon. While you are testing, I know that the more you have under your belt to offer the dept, the better. For example, get your EMT cert, Paramedic cert, Fire academy cert, ect. Anything you can bring to the table is good for you. Also, there is a rad book that I bought and read prior to getting hired out here in Colorado. The book is called-" How to smoke your fire interview" or something to that effect. I bought it at the Firefighter Bookstore in HB. The book was like $30, but well worth the money. There are great interview questions, answers, and answer rationales in this book. So, yeah, I know I don't know too much about LAFD, but I hope this has helped you a little bit. Good luck and take care. Any more ?'s, post them on the board. LIVIN the DREAM-Rob
rh