Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Do I need to go through another fire academy?

Do I need to go through another fire academy?

Hi my name is Shaun. I just recently got out of the Military as a Firefighter. There I was certified as a FF II, along with many other certifications. My question is to anyone who has come from the Military trying to get California State Firefighter certification. Is there a way to get certified by California without having to go through another academy? There must be a way, I can?t be the only one that has faced this problem. If worse come to worse I will go though another fire academy, though I think that my time would be better spent on things that I haven?t already accomplished. If you have any comments or advise please send them my way. Thanks for your time.

There is no reciprocity for out of state or military certs in California, but all hope is not lost. If you can get a department to sign you off on your California State Fire Marshal FFI check off sheet you can get your cert that way without going to an academy. Some volunteer departments do this. It will take some research, but it may be worth it to avoid having to return to an academy.
Good Luck!