Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Getting Started

Getting Started

Hi, My name is Will, and I am currently 16 and enrolled in highschool. I would like to know what training/education/test requirements I will need to fulfill to start my journey to a career of fire fighting. I am open to any kind of response; if there's something that I could read that would inform me of the standard requirements/testing, I'd be happy to know.

A small question, not so basic - Is it possible/allowable to transfer to a different state after training in another? I'd like to move to California when my financial status will allow me to, as I have family and friends there. [My current residence is in Florida.]

Any help would be appreciated!
-Will [An aspiring firefighter.]
I desire a career in emergency services.. specifically fire fighting.

Hey Will, good for you. Because you are 16 yrs old I would look into becoming an Explorer with a fire dept in your area. I do not know if the department's in your area have "JR Firefighter" programs. After that I would try to enroll in an EMT-B program. I know where I am from in California, and now working/living in Arizona you need to be 18 years old to enroll. Also try to get into a Florida State Fire Marshal certified fire academy. After you get your Firefighter-I certification from the state become a Volunteer or Reserve Firefighter. Also take Fire Science classes at your local community college.

As far as reciprocity between California and Florida I am not sure if the two states FF-I cert's are interchangeable. You would need to contact the California State Fire Marshal's office in Sacramento, CA to receive that information. My California FF-I doesn't mean a thing here in Arizona.

Best wishes,
AZFF :)

California does not offer reciprocity for any out of state certifications.
Good Luck!

I continued research about getting my certification in California after reading that a Floridian FF-I certificate would not transfer.

This is the curriculum that the Shasta Community College offers:

First Semester (Fall)

FIRS 70 Introduction to Fire Technology - 3 Units
FIRS 71 Fire Behavior and Combustion - 3 Units
FIRS 74 Fire Protection Equipment & Systems - 3 Units
FIRS 79 Fire Fighter Safety and Survival - 3 Units
FIRS 85 Fire Command IA - 2 Units

Second Semester (Spring)

FIRS 72 Fire Prevention Technology - 3 Units
FIRS 86 Building Construction for Fire Service - 3 Units
FIRS 101 Career Placement - 1 Unit
FIRS 189 Fire Investigation I - 2 Units
FAID 175 EMT I Basic - 3.5 Units
General Education - 3 Units

Third Semester (Fall)

BIOL 5 Introduction to Human Biology - 3 Units
FSS 25 Nutrition - 3 Units
SPCH 10, 20, 54 or 60 - 3 Units
General Education - 6 Units

Fourth Semester (Spring)

General Education - 3 Units
Elective - 12.5 Units

Suggested Electives

FIRS 191 Fire Investigation 1B - 2 Units
FIRS 104 Fire Fighter I Academy - 21 Units
FIRS 87 Fire Command 1B - 2 Units
FIRS 94 Fire Fighter Trainee Worksite Learning - 4 Units
FIRS 180 Fire Management I - 2 Units
FIRS 108 Fire Fighter II Academy - 5 Units

Associate in Science Degree Requirements

Major 35.5 Units
General Education 12 Units
Electives 12.5 Units
TOTAL 60.0 Units

[url=http://www3.shastacollege.edu/publicsafety/FF_curriculum.htm]This is the website the resource information was derived from. [/url]

It seems that I am looking at a pretty specific path to follow - but I have some concerns as well.

1] Are job opportunities immediately available after completing the curriculum?

2] What other things should I[may I] do to heighten my chances of being accepted into a Fire Department?

3] How important are my Highschool grades? In all honesty, I've got a non-weighted 3.5GPA, and it could change before I graduate. [Hopefully for the better.]

4] What should I do while in college, taking courses? Are part time jobs what I will rely on for financial dependence?

5] When volunteering at a Fire Department [after receiving certification], how do I become a standard [Read:Paid] Fire Fighter, and not a volunteer? I have no problem volunteering; in fact, I'd love to. However, if my wallet/bank account starts to flatline on me, I'll need to be paid somehow. [Ties in with the part-time job question.]

Thanks for your help!!
-Will

PS: Sorry for the massive amount of reading. :p
I desire a career in emergency services.. specifically fire fighting.

You're at the perfect age to get started.
1.Become an Explorer with a busy Fire Department in your area 2.Start taking Fire Tech classes while in high school (there are usually night courses) 3.Obtain an EMT license as soon as you are eligible 4.Obtain your Associates degree in Fire Technology as soon as you can after graduation 5.work for an ambulance company as an EMT as a means of paying your bills (you'll need a good driving record for this) 6.Attend a pre-service Fire Academy 7. Join the Forest Service or do some kind of wildland firefighting for a season or two (the money will stack up and you'll be set for the next couple months) 8.Once you feel competent as an EMT, apply for Paramedic school and be a MEDIC.
If you follow this format (or very close to it), there wont be a department anywhere that can deny you a Career as a Firefighter. You'll have EMT experience, Firefighting Experience (Explorer & Wildland), A Degree in FIRE TECH, plenty of Certs from your academy, and a Paramedic License. Virtually unstoppable! ALong the way you should make station visits, do Ride-Alongs, test for every department hiring, and make friends who share your interest. You'll be so busy that you wont have time to stray away from your Goal. So, good luck and take what I've written into consideration. I'm barely at the Paramedic phase of my pursuit of a Fire Career. Its been two years of testing, interviewing, and preparing. I've made alot of friends and great connections during my journey. You will too!
Go Fight Fire

Mace112 give some good options. Did you select Shasta College because your relatives live in the area?

Florida might offer you more opportunities because your a resident. If you become a seasoned medic in Florida you can pretty much select where you want to work.

There is one thing missing in the options that have been be presented to you. A critical key ingrediant is learning how to take a firefighter interview. It is like no other.

I've seen candidates with great credentials. They had every degree, certificate, volunteer experience and every other merit badge you can imagine. But they can't present the package at the interview. And, if you can't present the package, you don't get the job . . . Period! Never! Ever!

As Steve Prziborowski, BC- Santa Clara County Fire Department wrote:

Do what you have to do be more marketable so you can take more tests and have something more to offer a department, but remember that it all comes down to that 15 to 30 minute oral interview. I've seen some awesome candidates with resumes packed full of accomplishments that couldn't sell them self in an interview to even make the top 50%.

www.eatstress.com

Fire "Captain Bob"

888-238-3959