Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  When to start testing?

When to start testing?

Hello,
I am currently serving in on active duty in the U.S. Air Force with a separation date of Dec 29, 2008. My question is when, in your guy's opinion, should I begin testing? I know it can be a fairly lengthy process, and I don't want to seperate for the AF and be stuck for a long time without a steady job if it is not necessary. The agency I am looking at testing through in WA State (publicsafetytesting.com) offers written tests throughout the year and CPAT tests bi-annually around the Dec and July timeframe. Some background information in case it could have an effect on the situation:
-the discharge will be honorable (barring any crazy unforeseen circumstances :))
-I will be 25 at the time of separation
-BS in Workforce Education and Development
-AAS in Survival Instruction (that's useful!)
-planning on enrolling in another EMT-B course this fall (my prev. cert I attained while a volly in IL expired in Jan 07 due to my inability to meet CE requirements while going through training)
Thanks for your time and responses,
Keith

Keith,
Thanks for serving our country. I would encourage you to test as soon as you can. The testing process is pretty difficult and takes many people years to understand (particularly the interview). The more you understand the testing process the better you will do.
Good luck to you!
Paul Lepore
Battalion Chief
www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Thanks for the response Paul. I am planning to start in September through publicsafetytesting.com. Does anyone know if the policy FDNY has that allows military personnel to defer appointment until separation is widespread, particularly in the Pacific Northwest? I know it may differ from department to department. I was just wondering if it was common or not.
Thanks,
Keith D. Homfeldt Jr.

Keith,
Most places will allow you to defer, for whatever reason. Many departments allow you to defer more than once.
Be careful though, if you defer and the eligibility list expires you are no longer eligible for employment.

Thanks again for allowing the rest of us to sleep better at night.
Paul Lepore
Battalion Chief
www.aspiringfirefighters.com

Take every test you can.

Get your EMT.

Inquire about using your VA educational assistance for financing the Washington State Fire Academy so you can get your academy and IFSAC FF1 behind you.

Join a volunteer fire department where you live - or move to a location that has a active volunteer department.

Get involved with the community where you are....build your resume references with the local folks in the fire/ems biz.

Did I mention "TAKE EVERY TEST YOU CAN GET YOUR FOOT IN THE DOOR TOO!!!!!???"
There is nothing that prepares you better for getting the job, than going through the testing process....over-n-over again. Pretty soon, you'll be a seasoned test taker, and getting closer and closer to landing the job (hopefully with a department you really want to work for).

PST is good....lot's of agencies on the roster with them.....but don't limit yourself to just PST.....take Bates' test (Tacoma) as well....get that CPAT test done.

Start building your resume NOW.....at the time of your seperation from active duty, be able to show you were commited to this proffession starting in Summer of '07.

And........

THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE TO OUR COUNTRY!!!!!