Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  fire academy

fire academy

hi,

my name is ryan and i am 20 years old. i am currently enrolled in the Santa Ana fire academy in california and was just wondering what would be the best route to take after graduating. i have currently tested for LA county and city and placed in the B band both times. should i just continue testing around or should i volunteer at a busy station or what? ive been told several different things by several captains and cheifs and i just want to know what the majority of people on here think i should do.

thank you, Ryan

Hey, I just graduated from a fire academy up north. So I know how much relief / anxiety there can be after you are done.

I would say test ANYWHERE you can, that's the best advice i've gotten. Find a few buddies from the academy who are willing to drive to tests with you to save gas. Also while working and testing (a lot easier if you can work part-time) volunteer at a department, become a reserve, just try to get some experience.

Since tests don't come every week, or every other week you should have plenty of time to test anywhere/everywhere and get some experience.

I would just say don't spread yourself too thin, make sure you do the things you sign up for well.

Cotton

Test EVERYWHERE you can AND.....This is very Important...GET A GOOD ORAL EXAM COACH!!!! when your done with that....Get a GOOD ORAL EXAM Coach!!!!

sweet! thanks guys!

WILL DO