Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  LOOKING TO GET HIRED IN SOCAL

LOOKING TO GET HIRED IN SOCAL

I am just finishing my degree in Kinesiology. I was a collegiate basketball and rugby player. I have been a personal trainer for the past two years. I have no experience in fire fighting but have known that this is what I have always wanted to do with my life. I am a 23 year old female and want to know what the best steps are to take to get hired?
-Stephanie S.

I could help you out here with this one. Im a trainer as well, have been
one for the past 8 years. I didnt continue my career choice unitil recently.
My advice to you, one trainer to another, is begin your path by attending a
community college. Your studies should be within fire technology. Stick
with it. Get your EMT as well. Attend a fire academy as well. Good luck
Sir yes sir

Thanks for the advice, that sounds like a good path to take. Can you get hired without your EMT?
-Stephanie S.

Stephanie,

Welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you place your questions in the "Open Forum" section. You'll get way more replies. Also, search that portion of the site. You'll find that many of the topics you are asking about are asked frequently, and answers are readily available.

After a short time you'll recognize that there are regular contributors to the forum that are professional firefighters and those in business to assist aspiring firefighters. Their advice can be immensely helpful.
Good Luck!

Hi Stephanie,

My adivce would be this: Get you CPAT cert and apply to LAFD and LACOFD online. The CPAT test will cost you about $150 and your cert will last for a year. The catch is this: you can't apply until you get that CPAT cert.
Now after you get your CPAT cert, start applying online to departments in Socal. While applying you should work towards getting your EMT cert and a two year fire tech degree...Many of your classes from your BA degree can be applied again towards your fire tech degree.
Good luck!
This message was edited by red23265 on 5-1-08 @ 12:14 PM

And no they wont hire you without your EMT cert and current CPAT cert...