Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Need some help

Need some help

Im wondering whats the first thing i should do to start my fire career. Im currently in the military and have 6 months left before i get out. Should I get my EMT cert or take fire science classes or what? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome Texasdave and thank you for service to our country!

Depending on where in the country you end up the entry level requirements could be different. Out here in California you pretty much need at least an EMT cert to be able to get a job so I would say that most likely that will get you the most bang for your buck. After completing you EMT it would be a good idea to hit the Fire Science classes. Most agencies will give you Vetrans preference points for your prior service in the military in any process that you enter. Good luck.

This is a great website to get info about getting hired and any questions you have you can use the search function and search the board. Pretty much everything has been covered at least once but if you have trouble finding it go to the main board and ask,you should get a good answer quick!!

What requirements are needed to become a firefighter ?

texas if i were you do what i did, i enrolled in a emt cl*ss and a fire science cl*ss. get your cpat out of the way as well. after you get your emt cert start testing with departments and enroll in some more fire cl*sses while you test so if you dont get the job no time is wasted. also i would recommend getting a job as a emt as well so you learn more about the job before you get it.

@ russ you need to be 18 valid drivers license in good standing, cpat certificate and emt license. those are the bare minimum requirements.