Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  ""career"" ""volunteer""

""career"" ""volunteer""

Aren't these two words antonyms? Why is it that on "Fire Careers," every time a search is performed the results are riddled with volunteer postion listings?
Most of the firecareers.com users recognize the fact that they can acquire a volunteer position from just about any dept. with a volunteer program.
I have been a professional firefighter for a little over 5 years and used to check this site often and it was/is quite helpful. Today I was simply looking to see that my dept.'s JOB inquiry was listed. I don't remember having to sift through so many stinking volunteer position postings on a career locator site a few years back. What's up with that?

jstack,

We are here to help candidates get hired whether they are looking for full-time paid positon or a volunteer position to get their foot in the door. A large amount of departments that only hire volunteers, will only hire from those volunteers to fill their paid staff. There are a lot of subscribers that don't know the first step on how to become a volunteer or paid firefighter. If a department is hiring for a position we will notify our subscribers. You stated "I don't remember having to sift through so many stinking volunteer position postings on a career locator site a few years back." Please remember the what the volunteers do for a department and for their community for free. Your email confirms that myself and my staff are doing what our customers pay us to do and we are doing it well.

If you have any questions or further comments please email me directly at Marcie@firecareers.com

Thank you,
Marcie Albertsen
Firecareers.com
Manager

This message was edited by Perfectfire on 3-5-09 @ 12:33 PM