Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Some Medical Help Please

Some Medical Help Please

Hello everyone. I was reading a previous post, and I can't find it to add to it. Here's my question, I had 3 seizures in my life, the last one was 20 years ago. It is under control with medication. I remember in another post someone asked a similar question, and someone responded that OSHA or NIOSH wouldn't allow it, because of some restriction with the scba. NFPA has guidelines for it, and says that if it's under control with medication for 5 years it's allowable. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly where to find the OSHA or NIOSH restrictions regarding this, because I've looked on both sites and can't find anything on medical conditions restricting the use of an scba, or any medical restrictions period. Thank you.

SKR31:

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/reports/face200704.html

Pay close attention to the Recommendations section and the References at the end of the report.

NPFA standards are hard to come by for free.
The NFPA allows on-line access to standards for it's members. If you can't find a friend who has access, you may have to purchase a copy(ies) of related NFPA standards. NFPA 1582 may have some answers for you.

Best wishes

I saw a copy of NFPA 1582, and in chapter 6.15.1.1 and 6.15.1.2 states 5 years seizure free on a stable medical regimen, and normal cat scans, eeg's and the such. I am wondering if this condition will keep me from getting a job as a firefighter. Thanks for the response tomdeltazulu.
This message was edited by SKR31 on 6-6-09 @ 12:56 AM