Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Physical Training  /  Anything you'd do different?

Anything you'd do different?

Hi there,

I wanted to see if anyone could provide some pointers to my current work out schedule/routine as I'm all about bettering myself.

Currently I run 6 miles 3 days a week (mon-wed-fri). I focus on NOT STOPPING the entire time and usually get it done in just under 60 minutes.

Tuesday and Thursday I swim 1.5 miles along with lift weights (circuit train- chest, back, tri, bi).

Typically I'll do sit up's, pull up's and push up's daily at home/in the office.

I've been eating a diet high in vegetables and fruit and chicken, maybe red meat once a week.

I've been focusing on NOT eating out and only eating freshly prepared food.

I'd like to get stronger so any suggestions are welcome!!

-RR

It all depends on what you are training for. Are you training for an Academy, Biddle/CPAT etc.

I've already completed my CPAT.

I'm starting academy in August.

I suppose I'm training for the academy and beyond.

I just want to make sure I'm good and fit.

-RR

I would focus on Trunk Stabilization/ Core work to prevent back injury in the academy and beyond. Further, I would consider more resistance training- like with weights- specifically rotator cuff exercises to prevent shoulder injuries. The Low back and the shoulders tend to take a beating in your chosen career path!
Dr. Jen Milus, DC
www.fireagility.com

Hi Jen,

I appreciate the response.

I've played ice hockey goalie since I was a kid.

I've been doing yoga/pilates for... (I can't remember how many years).

I completely agree with you on core strength being important!

Currently I'm running stadiums mon-wed-fri, Tues/Thurs I hit the gym and do an hour of pilates.

Sat/Sun I usaully go hiking or just take it easy (if I'm really feeling brave, i hit up a morning session of pilates on sat).

Anything else I may want to add to the mix?

-Robert