Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Still tryin'!

Still tryin'!

I have been testing since I was 18 y.o. at many fire agencies around the bay area. I'm currently 24 y.o. and a paramedic for Santa Clara County, CA. I have also finished my degree in fire science (A.S.) and sent in for my FF-I to the state fire marshall. I have taken numerous resume and interview workshops to perfect my communication skills. On top of all of these accomplishments I have decided to work on my third degree (BS) in nursing at a local university. I still don't understand the concept of being picked up. What other certs, awards, or requirements do I possibly need to get into this elite group of individuals?

Maybe get outta the books and into the people ;)try getting in somewhere as a volunteer!
Rob
If you have study / test books for sale, email me!

I think that it would be fair to say that it isn't your "lack" of classes or certificates that is keeping you from being hired. What do you think candidates have the biggest problem with when they enter the testing process? It's their oral interview skills.

The oral interview usually counts for 100% of your score in the testing process. If it doesn't count for 100% of your score, then it most likely will account for the majority of your score. You need to work on your oral interview skills.

Most candidates spend a majority of their time preparing for an upcoming examination by either buying books that help deal with the written portion of the test, or working their butts off in the gym preparing for the physical portion of the test. Why is this? Because it's easy!!! (Easier anyways)

It takes a lot of courage to get up in front of people and speak. I think that it would be safe to say that most people "dread" speaking in front of people/groups. Candidates put off preparing for the oral interview until it is sprung on them in a few days and then they frantically run around trying to find out from others what kind of questions the board asked only to give themselves a false sense of security by memorizing the answers they "think" the board wants to hear when in reality all they are doing is giving another "clone" answer that the board has heard a million times before. (catching my breath!!!)

What it really boils down to is that you need to start preparing for the oral interview long before the testing process is upon you. The best way to do this is to find a coach. There are several highly capable members on this site alone. While I won't endorse one over the other, they all are extremely intelligent and WILL HELP YOU WITH YOUR INTERVIEW SKILLS.

I don't know how long you have been a member of this site but I recommend you browse through the postings in the Open Forum section. There is so much valuable information in these postings that you could easily spend hundreds of dollars on other sites to get the same or probably less information. Take a look at them and you will see that it is a general consensus that the oral interview is where most candidates go wrong. Post back and tell me what you think. Good luck.

Nathan

Look no further my friend. I have some magic beans that I will sell you. Just Kidding. Go to www.eatstress.com. Just in case you are new to the board, Captain Bob is the guy that will open new doors for you. Go to the website and call him if you have questions. Hope this helps! This man's program is no joke! I have my job today because of this gentleman's interview tapes.
Remember FDNY's Fallen

As I keep preaching. It's not about having more certifications or qualifications than the next candidate. Your's is the classic scenario of where a candidate is missing the boat. Yo ucan keep trying to add to your resume or you can see the light and begin to work on your oral interviews. More certifications are not going to help you. You need to learn to take an interview.

You have more wallpaper than all of your competition. Slow down and focus on the most important part of the testing process, the oral interview.

Paul Lepore, Captain
Author of "Smoke Your Firefighter Interview"
www.smokeyourffinterview.com
Think outside of the box!
This message was edited by Paul on 1-21-04 @ 2:46 PM

I would try So. Cal. I tried for one year and was Picked up the first year. I've been a medic since 97, and FF since 2001. Try testing for cities that have less stations. You might like it better than the bigger cities and they might have less competition. I tested for a fire department with 4 stations. We are still the top 3 highest paid in San Diego County.