Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  joining requirements

joining requirements

i am from australia with relatives in Ameriaca. i would like to move to the usa and become a career firefighter. i am 21 years old and currently a member of a rural Fire brigade in Aust. I have undertaken senior first aid and Advanced Resus certificates. i have almost completed my Level 1 in Rural fires certificate.what else would i need to obtain to do this?

You would begin by contacting the Immigration &
Naturalization Service and obtaining a temporary work visa
to search for work in the US. The problem that you may run
into is that the hiring agency has to guarantee that you will
have continuous employment for 5 years. I do not know of
any fire agency that will guarantee that. I wish you good luck
in your endeavor.

-
Curt Cozad
Spokesperson/Liaison
FIREHIREŽ Inc.
(800) 755-5891
"Where Your Fire Service
Career Begins!"?

thankyou. i will look into it.

I second the issue iof being a citizen to be able to work as a firefighter. I am not sure if it is an issue but I would hate to have tou come here and go through all of the trouble for nothing.
You can look at any of the major fire department's web site and look at the minimum requirements to determine if you need to be a citizen. If I'm not mistaken on my department Long Beach, California we have a guy whose family immigrated from Mexico who was not a citizen prior to getting hired.

It's well worth looking into.

Best of luck!

BTW I would love to trade places with you. I have always dreamed about going to Australia.
Paul Lepore
Captain

hi paul. thankyou for your response. i would love to be able to talk to you about your experiences etc. trading places sounds like fun.i have always wanted to come to america. i will definatly look into it.