Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  Alcoholic, under psychiatric treatment

Alcoholic, under psychiatric treatment

I have been a recovering alcoholic for over six years. I currently am on a vol dept. I'm signing up for EMT. My question is- do I have a chance with my prior alcoholism? It may come up on medical or psych- definitely seen drug & alcohol abuse referenced here. I wish to be honest- I'll be caught otherwise, anyway. How do you think this will be viewed? As a triumph over myself- as a moral degenerate?

I also am being successfully treated for depression.

Also, I am over 35 and hoping to get a paid job one day. Do you think these issues will prohibit hiring? Thank you for your assistance
yes, I am my brother's keeper.

It's up to you, believe it or not!

If you think it's a problem, it will "show" when you begin pursuing the career.
If you're convinced it's a thing of the past, and you control "it".....it will show as well.

Sell yourself in the positive.....minimize the less than favorable if you even have to discuss it at all.

I quit drinking 18+ years ago.....had two DWI's in the mid 80's.....even a drug possession ticket in the '70's......and I have 12 honorable and respected years behind me in the Firefighter/Paramedic proffession.

Accentuate the positive, do the right thing always, and never quit learning.

ya i know about that i know lots of fireman that r in aa and r doing very well. i thinkj u will be fine if u stick to aa and reall y commit your self to being a fireman.

Wow!!...Man...now that i see some of the experiences other firefighters have gone through in their lives....its all about not quitting!!!
Erik Martinez